Critique my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Tonight was a bottle night (IPA), so I've been drinking. It is almost 1 AM and I've been tinkering around in Brewsmith. I want to make a light ale (I don't have the resources to lager) for the summer and this is what I've come up with.

Syle: 1A American Light
Extract + Specialty Grains:

.50 LB Crystal 10
.50 Honey Malt
6 Lb Light LME

Hops:
.25 oz Hallertauer (4.80%) at 60
.50 oz Hallertauer (4.80%) at 30
1.00 oz Saaz (3.30%) at 15

Yeast:
East Coast Ale

Beersmith Calculations:
OG 1.045
FG 1.012
IBU 16.4
Color 6.4 SRM

For being my second recipe on my own, I think this looks pretty good, what do you guys think? I am wanting to dry hop, any suggestions?

People don't seem to be into critiquing much, I posted my dunkelweizen a little earlier and haven't had any takers yet either :(

I can't be much help on yours, but I smelled honey malt at my LHBS yesterday for the first time and really want to try something with it. I think 0.5 lb of each should give you a good beer though, my only concern would be the amount of hops. It won't be super hoppy by any stretch of the imagination, but you might taste them a bit too much for such a light beer. Unless that's what you're going for, I would probably back it down to 10-12 IBU.

Honey malt likes to be mashed, but it seems like every time I try to find a definitive answer to that one I find conflicting answers.

It looks good, but more continental inspired. You might consider replacing the hop bill with something American, maybe citrus and spicy for a refreshing light ale.

I would start with 0.25 lbs of Honey Malt if you've never used it before. It gives a wonderful sweetness, but can be overpowering.

That is too light on the bittering hops. I don't know how you got 16 IBUs out of that, unless you're betting on the 30 minute addition adding some bittering...it won't add much. I hardly pay attention to the IBUs calculated for my flavor addition any more.

I would stay with the hallertau and saaz, personally, for a light ale, but I don't like citrusy hops.

About the IBU's, it is just what Beersmith said, so that is what i am going by.

Possibly 1 oz hallertau at 60 and .5oz at 30?

That looks more properly balanced.

As I said, Beersmith will calculate IBUs based on flavor and other late-addition hops. Even though they do contribute, I find that these compounds do not have the same balancing bitterness as the 60+ minute additions, so I do not consider late hop additions into my calculations at all in regards to bitterness.

I rarely use 30 minute additions, either. I generally do a 15 or 20 minute addition for flavor and lately I've been using First Wort Hopping for flavor. It's added an incredibly smooth flavor to all the beers I've used it in.

Anyway, just my experience...I'm sure others will disagree with me :)

I'm still somewhat of a noob, First Wort Hopping?

I take it you add the hops before the boil?

You're doing an extract batch, sorry. In all-grain, it's when you add the hops as you are running out of your mash tun, so the hops have 170°F water ran over them for about 20-30 minutes, then they are removed before the boil.

You could do it with extract, but it would basically involve steeping hops in your wort after you add the extract and holding it for 20 minutes @ 170-180°F before removing and starting your boil. I don't know that it would have the same effect. Sorry for the confusion.

Latest posts

Back