Critique my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was ordering ingredients for BM black pepper wit and order some extra base malts to accompany some left over malt I had. Here's what I have. I'm really excited about using Vienna and Rye for the first time although I don't know it they mesh well or not. I'm brewing regardless with these ingredients. I can subtract quantities but cannot increase.

Opinons?

5lbs Vienna
2 lbs Rye
1/2lb Biscuit
1/2lb Crystal 10
1/2lb Crystal 40
2 oz Special Roast
1oz Chocolate wheat (Not sure here, I just have 14.8 oz left so I feel I should use some)
.35 oz simcoe at 60 min. (only have 1/2oz to work with)
.15oz simcoe at 10 min.

And good cheap Notty

Like I said anything can be omitted or scaled down but not scaled up. These were the specialty malts left from my fat tire clone and I'd prefer to use them up unless some alteration would significantly enhance something.

I love the Sweetness vienna brings to the table and the Crisp bite of the rye. (Probably my two fav malts). Then you had in that carmely goodness it looks like a very tastey beer.

Think it will be too sweet? I don't wanna over power the Rye. I'm interested to see what it has to offer. What kind of % is best suited for Crystal malt?

well thats what I think, I'm sure someone will disagree

make it more than once and see for yourself what you like

I would cut back to maybe like 1/4# of Crystal in total and let the Rye shine

Well i wont' be making it more than once most likely as I'm just adding the Vienna and Rye to some left over specialty malts. Although I suppose if I enjoy the Phat Tire clone and this, I could always just make them together. Dropping from 1# to .25 lbs (1/8 each of 10 and 40) only drops 3 point from OG. Definitely a doable option. Thanks for the input. Any other input on this?

hmm do i change this to 2.5 gallons and double my IBUs and ABV........hmmm
Think that malt profile would work with a 7.8% beer? Never made one that big

Depends what style your going for and what your efficiency is. The C10L and C40L come out to about 10% of grist, not that large of an amount. I don't like C10L as a rule, but if you dig that sweet flavor then go for it. Should be a drinkable beer.

If you want to learn what vienna and rye taste like I wouldn't toss all the other grains in there. Do a small batch with just the vienna and rye. The Special Roast and the Biscuit will cover/blend with the flavor from the vienna and how will you know what is bring which flavors forward?

That Vienna will add some sweetness on it's own. I'd agree...cut back the crystal. And add more chocolate wheat :D (I've actually never used it, but I've heard it's tasty and I can imagine it would be.)

Back