Critique my Recipe Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonbreath11

Reaction score
Mosquito Smoked Porter-

-10lbs. Marris Otter
-1 Lb. Crystal Malt (20L)
-1 Lb. Smoked Munich Malt (smoked in home-made smoker for 2 hours)
-6 oz. Chocolate Malt
-4 oz. Flaked Oats
-2 oz. Black Patent
-2.0 fluid oz blackstrap molasses

OG estimate 1.062 ABV=6%
FG estimate 1.016

-.5 oz. nugget (14.8 aa) @90min
-.5oz. nugget @20min

-wlp 862 Cry Havoc
-Ferment @ 72F

I like the MO base, but 20L crystal seems out of place. In darker beers, I would recommend using no less than 40L, and in this case would use 60 or 80L crystal.

I'm not sure how much smoke you'll get with 1lb of smoke malt (smoking it yourself), but to compare- using 1lb of beechwood smoked malt can be quite subtle. I've used 3lbs in a 1.046 OG beer, and after a couple months it was very muted. It does depend too, on what type of wood you are smoking with.

Personally, too, I would bump the chocolate up to 8oz at least or move the black patent to 4oz. But that is just my preference in porters for a bit darker than what you have (while still not being a stout). Also, the molasses will be quite subtle but well within the range of reason. I doubt you will be hurt to go up to 4oz here too. It can easily go overboard, but I think anywhere from 2-4oz will be right on the edge of unnoticeable, but give it a nice touch.

What are the IBUs? I would shoot for 30 or so, and I'm not sure what you have with only 1oz total of nugget.

Ferment temps may be a tad high too.

Ok, I have had a couple home-brews tonight, so to clear things up, I am nit-picking a bit. I think as is it's good, but had a few ideas I hope may help! And welcome to HBT!!

I like the MO base, but 20L crystal seems out of place. In darker beers, I would recommend using no less than 40L, and in this case would use 60 or 80L crystal.

I'm not sure how much smoke you'll get with 1lb of smoke malt (smoking it yourself), but to compare- using 1lb of beechwood smoked malt can be quite subtle. I've used 3lbs in a 1.046 OG beer, and after a couple months it was very muted. It does depend too, on what type of wood you are smoking with.

Personally, too, I would bump the chocolate up to 8oz at least or move the black patent to 4oz. But that is just my preference in porters for a bit darker than what you have (while still not being a stout). Also, the molasses will be quite subtle but well within the range of reason. I doubt you will be hurt to go up to 4oz here too. It can easily go overboard, but I think anywhere from 2-4oz will be right on the edge of unnoticeable, but give it a nice touch.

What are the IBUs? I would shoot for 30 or so, and I'm not sure what you have with only 1oz total of nugget.

Ferment temps may be a tad high too.

Ok, I have had a couple home-brews tonight, so to clear things up, I am nit-picking a bit. I think as is it's good, but had a few ideas I hope may help! And welcome to HBT!!

Suppose I cut back on the black patent and make it a brown? I'm really trying to make something with ingredients on hand. I know Crystal 60, 80, or even 120 is par for the course in a porter but I don' have those on hand. Will Crystal 20 work ok in a brown? I know the ferm temps are a bit too high but I don't have a temp controller or fridge and would be fermenting in a basement. According to Beersmith I'm at 30 ibus.

If that's what you have, I think it sounds great. I wouldn't even cut out the patent then. Leave it sort of in between the two. I really was nitpicking. The big question is how much smoke do you want? What you have will be noticeable, but depending on how the home smoking comes out, could be quite subtle. So that is just a matter of opinion.

As far as the temps go, 72 should be fine (I see it's in the recommended range for the WLP 862), but if you want to ferment lower, you can make a "swamp cooler" pretty easily. Put your carboy into your mash tun with a bit of water and ice packs, then cover with blankets to keep the cold in. A bit primitive, and some work to change it out every day, but it works pretty well!

If that's what you have, I think it sounds great. I wouldn't even cut out the patent then. Leave it sort of in between the two. I really was nitpicking. The big question is how much smoke do you want? What you have will be noticeable, but depending on how the home smoking comes out, could be quite subtle. So that is just a matter of opinion.

As far as the temps go, 72 should be fine (I see it's in the recommended range for the WLP 862), but if you want to ferment lower, you can make a "swamp cooler" pretty easily. Put your carboy into your mash tun with a bit of water and ice packs, then cover with blankets to keep the cold in. A bit primitive, and some work to change it out every day, but it works pretty well!

I think I'll kill the black patent and use 8oz. choc malt for the lighter color. I want the smoke to be noticable. I just tasted the smoked malt and it's nice and smokey. It'll be interesting to see how the cry havoc wlp 862 will make this beer. I've never used it before. Supposedly it's an American strain used by Charlie Papazzian that does well in pilsners at low temps as well as ales at the higher temp range. I've made a .75 gallon starter that's been in the fridge for a couple of days with a nice compacted slurry ready to be pitched. Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah, this discussion has gotten me interested in WLP862 myself... Do report back with the results! It looks like you've done your homework, and I think it'll be good!

Well my Smokey The Bear Brown Ale is fermenting nicely at a high 72F. I think wlp862 Cry Havoc is a bottom fermenting lager yeast though because there is 0 Krausen in the carboy. I'm interested how this beer will turn out.

Ok Today I racked to my keg. I have a dilemma though. The hydrometer reads 1.020 from 1.060 which puts it at 5.2% /vol. Perhaps I racked too soon though the airlock was 1 bubble/ min but the yeast had flocculated into a compact yeast cake. I'm ok with the alcohol content though it tastes a tad sweet for my tastes. Would you keep it at ferm temp 1 more week or cold crash and carbonate? Btw the IBUs were a bit high for a brown at 49 and there does seem to be a good balance of bitterness and sweetness.?? :confused:

p.s. I am very pleased with the Cry Havoc yeast. The fermentation was very swift and the yeast flocculates better than I expected. Nice clean taste too.

Already to the keg? Seems pretty early for that... I would let it sit for another week. If you're interested in quick turn around in your beer this is a good place to start: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/

Though, it seems 2-3 weeks fermenting is still a must. It very well could have a few more points to go. What temp did you mash at?

Actually the hydrometer after sitting for awhile now is showing 1.015 (5.87 % abv @ 73.9% attenuation) which is under the style guideline and in line with avg. attenuation for wlp862. I could probably let it sit for another week but can't see getting more than 1-2 gravity points. Usually I do a month primary then rack but I made a 3/4 gallon starter which might have been an overpitch for a 1.060 beer, the yeast fermented fast and dropped quickly so I said why not? The beer doesn't taste green. I'll cold crash for a few days add my finnings and carbonate. It'll still be grain to glass in 1 month.:mug:

Well I tapped the Smokey The Brown Ale this afternoon less than a month after pitching. I gotta say it's a very good late Summer Autumn ale, closer to an Amber than a brown. No green flavor or homebrew twang. Very light smoke taste if at all. I used Instant Isinglass and I am impressed though like I said before the Cry Havoc yeast is a very good flocculator (even in the starter it flocculated 2 days after crash cooling to nearly crystal clear). I may have found my favorite yeast.

Well I tapped the Smokey The Brown Ale this afternoon less than a month after pitching. I gotta say it's a very good late Summer Autumn ale, closer to an Amber than a brown. No green flavor or homebrew twang. Very light smoke taste if at all. I used Instant Isinglass and I am impressed though like I said before the Cry Havoc yeast is a very good flocculator (even in the starter it flocculated 2 days after crash cooling to nearly crystal clear). I may have found my favorite all-purpose yeast.
Smokey%252520ale.jpg

Wow! Looks great, man. BTW, what wood did you use for smoking your malts?

My neighbor smokes meat in his smoker using common hardwoods used for smokking such as apple, cherry, etc. I piggybacked on his smoking session by putting some Marris Otter in a sack and smoking it for 2 hours. The smoke taste is hardly detectable. Some say not to use Mesquite chips, but last time I made a similar beer using Mesquite chips on the end of a BBQ session and the taste was more noticable. Really nice.

Back