Critique my recipe: Persimmon Melomel

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I have 9 lbs of persimmons a coworker gave me that have been taking up space in my freezer. I want to try to clean out my chest freezer to make way for everything I plan on growing/harvesting/freezing this year. Naturally my thoughts turned to a mead. I wanted to know what everyone thought of this:

There is a meadery in town here that makes low-ish gravity sparkling meads which me and SWMBO both like, so I planned on making a base of 3 lbs of persimmons and 1.25 lbs of honey/gallon. This would give me an OG of around 1.065. I would let it ferment down and then backsweeten with honey to a semi-sweet stage. This would put me at about 9% ABV. Besides wanting to know if that sounds delicioius or not, I want to know what kinds of honey would pair well with persimmons and also if you think the persimmons could use some added spices. I was thinking a split and scraped vanilla bean might be interesting.

Tyrone

Reaction score
I think this sounds phenomenal. Good luck.

Don't ditch the vanilla bean!

Goblet

Reaction score
That sounds really good. For a vanilla bean, just splitting & scraping and adding it straight to the mead should work fine. You can always add more/other spices later by putting some spice into an small spice jar with a lid and adding vodka. Just let the flavors infuse into the vodka for a few weeks. You can test the amount of spice flavor you want to add by putting a few drops of the (strained) spice infused vodka into a glass of mead. After finding the amount you want, scale that amount to the whole batch. It's not usually much -- about a teaspoon per gallon gives a nice spice flavor without overpowering the fruit (depending on how strong your spice infusion is). This can even be done right before bottling.

Goblet

Reaction score
My favorite honey for mead is Tupelo, by a lot. It has a spiciness that would be really good with persimmons.

Tyrone

Reaction score
My favorite honey for mead is Tupelo, by a lot. It has a spiciness that would be really good with persimmons.
I've got two gallons of tupelo honey/pineapple/coconut melomel (Pinacoladamel?) going.

It's a really nice honey...