Critique my n00bish recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasseriver

Reaction score
I'm trying to develop an extract recipe as my next foray into homebrewing; something of a next step.

I was using the calculator on tastybrew.com to work on this; let me know if you see any glaring issues. Keep in mind it's my first one. :drunk:

Should be I steeping crystal malt at the beginning to add flavor?

--------------
Boil Volume: 3 Gal
Batch Size: 5.5 Gal

9# Amber DME
1oz Super Styrians @60 min boil
1oz Super Styrians @30 min boil
1oz Bramling Cross @20 min boil
10z Willamette @10 min boil

Wyeast 1098 British Ale

For now, given my setup and knowledge, just going with steeping grains. My plan is to get more complex with each batch.

I know I snagged the Brit Ale yeast, but I'm shooting for a really hoppy ale in general. I'm not sure what you'd actually categorize it as -- American?

Apologies for sounding somewhat stunted. :)

British ale yeast makes a great IPA. A lot of commercial IPAs are made with it.

Super Styrians I'm not familiar with but they sound like a high alpha noble hop. Bramling cross appears to be British, also don't know that one. Willamette is a Hallertauer relative, spicy and floral. I think your hop bill will make an English IPA if you add an ounce of hops to dry hop in the secondary for a week (maybe an ounce of Willamette to dry hop?).

I'd sub 9# of Amber DME with:

7# Amber DME
2# Crystal 10 (steeped @155 for 30 minutes)
1/2# CaraPils (steeped @155 for 30 minutes)

You'll want to be 40-60 IBUs and SRM 10 or so on the color. You may need to adjust your hop additions to get in that range IBU-wise. Should make a nice balanced hoppy beer.

So then the recipe would look something like:

2# Crystal 10
1/2# CaraPils

7# Amber DME

1oz Super Styrians @60min
1oz Super Styrians @30min
1oz Bramling Cross @20min
1oz Willamette @10min

(These hop additions would be subject to change to lower the IBU's from my original recipe, which was hitting 54 IBU.)

Add the smack pack of 1098;

Then dry hop in secondary with 1oz Willamette?

Sounds like a plan to me, that's what I would brew.

Other folks are welcome to express their own opinions, of course. :tank:

54 IBUs would be fine. You SAID you wanted hoppy, you will definitely get hoppy, esp. with an extra ounce of Willamette to dry hop. ;)

Sounds like a plan to me, that's what I would brew.

Other folks are welcome to express their own opinions, of course. :tank:

54 IBUs would be fine. You SAID you wanted hoppy, you will definitely get hoppy, esp. with an extra ounce of Willamette to dry hop. ;)

Well, plugging in the numbers of the new version of said recipe, it drops the IBU to 38. That's still good by me. :)

Yeah, my Super Styrians are only 7.0% -- none of the default Alpha percentages were equal to what I've actually got.

Anyone else thing 2# of crystal might be 1# too much? Most of the recipes I have seen don't go much higher than 1. ymmv.

Willamette is a Hallertauer relative, spicy and floral.

I thought Willamette was an American Fuggles clone?

Anyone else thing 2# of crystal might be 1# too much? Most of the recipes I have seen don't go much higher than 1. ymmv.

Steeping grains get a lower extraction than mashing. You'll need more than a partial mash depending on what you are going for in the recipe.

If it was an american IPA i would say it's too much but an English IPA needs a few pounds of crystal

I don't know. Everything I've read says that any more than a pound of crystal is going to get cloyingly sweet. I could be wrong...

I don't know. Everything I've read says that any more than a pound of crystal is going to get cloyingly sweet. I could be wrong...

There is a guy who brews a killer English IPA using several pounds of crystal that won BOS at our local competition. One of the BOS judges was Gordon Strong (Grand Master 5 BJCP judge) and he didn't think it was cloying????

Back