Critique my IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myrdhyn

Reaction score
Ok, here goes my first shot at brewing an IPA. How does this recipe for a 5 gallon batch sound:

12lbs 2-row
2lbs munich light
0.5lbs crystal 40

Willamette 1.5 oz @60min
Cascades 1.5 oz @60min
Willamette 1 oz @20min
Cascades 1oz @20min
Willamette 1 oz @10min
Cascades 1oz @10min
Willamette 1 oz @Flameout
Cascades 1oz @Flameout
Cascades 1oz Dry Hop for 14days after 7-10days

Mash around 150-152 for 60mins, double batch sparge, boil for 60mins, ferment using S-05. According to BMW BrewBuilder (don't have access to real software at work), this should give me an OG of about 1.065 at my efficiency, and around 64IBUs. Ideally for the hops, what I'm going to do is measure out the required amounts of Willamette and Cascades, mix them thoroughly and then add the required amount of "mixture" at the appropriate times. So each addition might have a tad more of one or a touch less of one.

Fermentation would be in the low 60s for 7-10days, dry hopped in secondary for another 14 days with an ounce of cascades. From there to the keg and it waits for it's turn on tap.

Any thoughts? Changes? OMG IT'S CRAP??? Constructive (or heck destructive) critcism is highly encouraged.

I would save the nice cascade hops and possibly Willamette hops for later in the boil. Use a hop with a higher alpha acid like magnum for your 60min bittering addition.

I'm trying to set this up so that I don't have to buy any hops when I order the grain. I'm planning to use bulk hops I have on hand which are Goldings, Cascades, and Willamette. Goldings have no place in this recipe, so Willy and cascades it is :p I guess I should have specified that in my post.

In that case i would use the willamettes for bittering and keep the citrus flavour and aroma of the cascades for you later additions. Don't have much experience with willamettes but aren't they supposed to be kind of grassy?

I actually wouldn't change a thing except to dry-hop with more than 1 oz. I use 2oz minimum on IPA's. Other than that I like it. Should turn out to be a nice dry IPA.

In that case i would use the willamettes for bittering and keep the citrus flavour and aroma of the cascades for you later additions. Don't have much experience with willamettes but aren't they supposed to be kind of grassy?

I've only used them once or twice, but I've heard earth/grassy/minty and all kinds of other various descriptions. The one theme I keep coming across when reading about them though, is that they A) compliment alot of other hops very well and B) Cascades and Willamette is a classic, tasty combo.

jlpred55 said:
I actually wouldn't change a thing except to dry-hop with more than 1 oz. I use 2oz minimum on IPA's. Other than that I like it. Should turn out to be a nice dry IPA.

I'm actually torn on dry hopping at all since I'm using pellet hops, I don't want to end up with something extremely grassy. If I do though, do you think dry hop 2oz of cascades? Or 2oz of "the mixture" of casc/will? I'll probably go with just cascades. I really want the flavor to have the backing of the willamette for hte cascades, but the aroma I'm shooting for is pure cascades goodness. I'm actually considering dropping the willamette flameout addition.

The other major thing I'm torn on is using 40L vs 60L for the crystal, but I think the munich will provide enough backing that 40L should be fine.

I personally would use just the cascades for the dryhop. I use pellets all the time and no issue with grassy flavor. If you leave them for a long time then yes but 10days or so is fine.

You should be fine with the 40L, you are only using .5lbs. I would guess that if you used both side by side you couldn't tell a them apart in that amount.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the order for this today (and 10 gallons of EdWort's pale ale). In a few months when it is on tap, I'll try to remember to report back.

I'm a little late, but the recipe looks good to me. I'll second the bumping of dry-hopping up to 2 oz (and would use all cascade too). Hops are not the cheapest infredient, but I do like the idea of using low alpha (and low beta) hops for bittering - I htink it will lend itself to a smoother bitterness.

Make sure to let us know how it turns out.

They're pretty cheap when you buy them in bulk at rock bottom prices :p I definitely think I'm bumping the dry hop to 2oz.

It actually looks pretty close to perfect to me. I've used the "mix it all up" method of hopping plenty of times with great results....I tend to like my IPA's drier, so I'd personally mash at around 148-9. Different strokes for different folks, though. :mug:

Back