Critique my EKG "Haus-Ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, I need to put to use some of the EKG I won in the Hopshare (thanks BobbyM!). Initially I was planning an EKG IPA, but I don't think I can get the gravity where I need to with only my 5g cooler (and I don't want to PM this), so until I upgrade to a 10g cooler, this EKG English Pale Ale will have to do. Started with Edwort's "Haus-Ale" as a base and basically switched the US 2-row to MO. Also, had to up the hops slightly to get the IBU and just b/c I wanted to use 3oz. as opposed to 2oz. ! :)

I'm looking to have something like a cross between Ed's Haus-Ale and an ESB. So, although maybe Munich would be more in place in an ESB recipe or a darker crystal, etc. Although a different yeast may be more appropriate... I'm still trying to keep this light.

Let me know what you think. I may brew this at the South-Central PA brewday on 5/31/08 if I can make it. Thanks in advance for critique!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: RBBC EKG Haus-Ale
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0) Slight variation on Edworts Haus-Ale with slightly more late addition hops
and Marris Otter in place of US 2-row.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Marris Otter (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (60 min) Hops 19.4 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (30 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (15 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Looks good to me but I would recommend using some darker Crystal and/or mashing higher than 152F. The flavor combinations will work though...

I like the idea of Crystal 40L in fact you should try 60L and 120L in some following batches and taste the differences. You could add a bit of Special Roast and I would use a English yeast.

Revised to reflect 40L, English Dry Yeast, and the real AA% of my hops (6.2%):

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 7.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.4 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
8.00 lb Marris Otter (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (30 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 13.13 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

I'm thinking either the Czeck Pilsner or the Munich Dunkel, both of which are in the current BYO mag. I've got all the ingredients for either already. Then again, with all that EKG I got from the hopshare, that ESB recipe of yours looks pretty good too! Say, maybe if I can get a lager out of the way early, you and I could split a 10g batch of ESB? Maybe use two different yeasts and compare.

Say, maybe if I can get a lager out of the way early, you and I could split a 10g batch of ESB? Maybe use two different yeasts and compare.

Evets - Hrm... sounds like an idea. I'm still not 100% on the 31st, but I will try to get there (to 100% certainty) by tomorrow.

I've never brewed a 10g batch before and this might actually work better since you know your equipment better than I would. I can bring the ingredients for my 1/2 of the recipe and lend a hand where need be, but otherwise you can run the show on batch, we can split it into two fermenters, and I'll use S-04, you can use a different yeast? Or I can pick up a different yeast if need be (liquid?) b/c I'll need to stop by the LHBS to get my grains.

I'll let you know if I'm 100% (if I don't check in tomorrow PM me) and after that we can arrange to each get 1/2 the ingredients and plan this out so the 31st goes off without a hitch.

Thanks - Steve

Evets - Any thoughts on the recipe if we are going to split this batch? Use darker crystal? Use a tiny amount of special roast? Or leave it as I posted last time so its plain and simple and we can see what effect using 2 different yeasts may have...

Let me know.

I like the recipe, except for the 30 minute addition. I've never found a 30 minute addition to do much for a beer, unless you really are fine-tuning those IBUs with high-alpha hops. If you want IBUs, I suggest reducing the amount and moving the addition to 60 minutes. If you want more hop flavor, move the addition to 20 minutes. Of course, you may want to do a little of both.

On the other hand, if you like to add hops at 30 minutes and you want to tell me to stick my advice where the sun don't shine, I'm cool with that, too. :) It'll be a tasty beer, no matter what.

TL

Thanks for the suggestion Tex. Revised v3 with hop additions changed slightly and 2oz. Special Roast for something, well, special. :)

Ingredients:
------------
8.00 lb Marris Otter (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 75.26 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 18.81 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.70 %
0.13 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 1.22 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (20 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (15 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU