Critique My Crush!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
I hope these pictures show up! I'm looking for some good opinions about the crush I'm using today. I have the BC set to where I can see through it but I can't fit any part of a credit card through it, I don't have the tools to actually measure the gap. I conditioned the grain with a spray bottle and let it soak for about 20 mins before crushing but it looks to me like I have a lot of flour. Hopefully my husks are good and I wont get stuck!

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

Looks good to me, hulls intact, fully exposed endosperm, and a decent amount of flower, everything you want in a good crush.

R U using a Barley Crusher? If so, are you milling with the factory settings?

Looks good to me, hulls intact, fully exposed endosperm, and a decent amount of flower, everything you want in a good crush.

I'm so happy to hear that! I'm mashing right now and I really don't want to have to deal with a stuck sparge. This is the finest I've ever crushed, I'm looking to get my efficiency up above 60%.

Looks like the output from my barley crusher (non-factory settings), I get 89% eff. in my cube cooler with a slotted CPVC manifold.

I'm so happy to hear that! I'm mashing right now and I really don't want to have to deal with a stuck sparge. This is the finest I've ever crushed, I'm looking to get my efficiency up above 60%.

You will definitely see an improvement in your mash efficiency from crushing your own grain. Mine went from about 72% using my LHBS crush to my current 85%, so I think you will be surprised...expect a higher ABV if you didn't change/guesstimate your current efficiency settings.

Looks like the output from my barley crusher (non-factory settings), I get 89% eff. in my cube cooler with a slotted CPVC manifold.

Sweet, I'm using factory settings, and getting 85% mash eff., and 79% total BHE. I suppose I could set the gap a bit tighter, and improve upon my current efficiency, but I am running a 3/4" braid, and have had a couple slow run-offs with grain bills containing a good deal of oats and wheat.

Having said that, I brewed 10 gallons of Belgian Wit on Wednesday which had 10lbs of flaked wheat in it! No problems whatsoever, perhaps it was th 2lbs of rice hulls that made the difference, :D.

Crush looks good. As mentioned above, lots of intact hulls and a decent amount of flour. Should be a 75% +/- 5% eff mash. No worries.

Collecting first running's right now, after 2 quarts of vorlough I'm getting crystal clear brown wort, this is very encouraging so far!

Alright, it looks like my pre-boil efficiency is 75%, which is 15% better than I planned on. I'm happy!

My scale can only handle about 2 pounds of grain at a time so I just gave each couple of pounds a quick spray after I measured them and then transfer them to the bag, then I let them sit for about 20 mins before crushing. I don't know if that is exactly how it's supposed to be done but it seemed to work out pretty well this time. I'm about 50 mins into the boil now, I'll have the post-boil gravity soon!

I have ths crusher and I have conditioned and not conditioned. I have found that if the grain is fresh then I getter same as conditioned. I moved up to 15 gallon batches and have mashed approx. 36lbs of grain with great success. Mahout however is a big part of my process and it cuts my fly sparge time down. Thanks to a refactometer I know I'm getting a good rinse.

Back