Critique my Coffee American Stout/Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Targets =
OG - 1.075 FG - 1.016-1.018 IBU - 55
Mash at 154ºF
Malt =
MO (71%) Munich (15%) C-40 (2%) Special B (2%) Carafa III (1.5%) Chocolate Wheat (8.5%)
Hops =
Hopshot to 55 IBUs
I don’t think this is a terribly complicated malt bill. I originally included brown malt, but decided to remove it due to having muddled flavors (possibly associated with a too complicated malt bill) in the past with darker beers. I could be falsely attributing this to the brown malt though. I kept IBUs on the lower side of the IBU/GU ratio for the style (.75 as opposed to a standard mean of 0.88) due to the coffee additions. I plan on titrating cold brew instead of dry-beaning. I feel like the slight acidity ingrained in cold brew coffee will accentuate the bitterness of the beer, pushing that balance more towards the mean.
Yeast =
WLP 001 - I’m choosing this because I’ve had such labile results with Denny’s Fav. I’d really like to exclude anything english as to not impart any english esters or worry about flocc/attenuation issues. But if you’ve had luck with other yeast, let me know!
Water =
RO with targeted pH of 5.6, Targeting Chloride:Sulate ratio close to 2:1.
Cold Brew Coffee will be poured into fermentor after cold-crash (will be based on taking samples and titrating coffee additions at varying volumes into beer).
Let me know if you have any questions!

Itv looks OK, what would the SRM be on this one? For me, it seems you have too little roast and caramelt/crystal malt to achive any of the two styles. That's my personal opinion.

The beer will most likely turn out an OK American Stout. There is however not much porter over it.

Itv looks OK, what would the SRM be on this one? For me, it seems you have too little roast and caramelt/crystal malt to achive any of the two styles. That's my personal opinion.

The beer will most likely turn out an OK American Stout. There is however not much porter over it.

Beersmith has it around 50 SRM. I was thinking about dropping the crystal to total about 2% of the grist bill. My thinking is that munich and MO will sweeten it up nicely, especially with the lower IBUs

MO and Munich will provide a malty, toasty ( Munich ) backbone, but I would not go and say it will be sweet. For my taste, I need crystal in stouts and porters, especially high gravity RIS and Imperial Baltic Porters.

But even if you drop the crystal to only 2%, you will have a nice, smooth ( due to the Chocolate wheat ) roasty American stout. :)

Back