critique my bottling and plan for English barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I brewerd an English barleywine back in September. Fermented down from 1.105 to 1.024. Took three months to go from a bitter chalky mess to a point where I can begin to taste the potential. This is going to be a great beer in another 3-9 months time.

I fermented 8 gallons in 2 corny kegs, so it's sitting on the yeast/trub cake at about 20 psi and 55 degrees in my basement. I'm planning to split the batch and bottle-condition 5 gallons in 50x 12-oz bottles, and pitch some brettanomyces into the remaining 3 gallons to see how it develops as it consumes some of the remaining sugars

Batch 1: 5 gallons bottle-conditioned on s. cerivisae

-chill the keg down in the kegerator and attach spunding valve to degas down to ~3 psi, which corresponds to 1.3 Volumes at cellar temp. Transfer to clean keg and add 2.1 oz table sugar and packet of CBC-1 bottle-conditioning yeast. Fill 50x bottles from the kegerator tap with bottle-filler wand attachment, crown cap and store at cellar temp.

Batch 2: 3 gallons brett b. secondary fermentation
-transfer to clean keg, pitch starter from Orval dregs. Strore at cellar temp and periodically relieve pressure and draw sample to monitor progress. I'm told that each gravity point corresponds to 0.5 Volume of CO2, but I have no idea what level of attenuation I should expect when pitching it into a 10% beer with 1.024 final gravity?

Back