Critique my Altbier Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenlikesbeer

Reaction score
I've been sniffing around for a while on here (years) and finally decided it was time to contribute what I can and ask for some help.

I've been working on an Altbier recipe.. my first time really "creating" a recipe and also my first time with an Altbier so I wanted some feedback on how I can make it better before I end up with 5 gallons of something that is either undrinkable (unlikely) or not Altbier at all.

Altbier Idea
Extract w/ Grains
5 Gallon batch
3 Gallon Boil (60 Minutes)

Extract: Add at Boil for 60
5.5 lbs Munich LME
1 lb Wheat LME

Steeping: Steep for 30 at ~152 F
.25 lbs Chocolate
.5 lbs Carapils
.75 lbs Crystal 10

Hops:
1.5 oz Tettnanger (60)
.5 oz Perle (60)
1 oz Tettnanger (20)

WLP029 (German Ale/Kolsch)

Should end up with something like..
OG 1.049
FG 1.012 (4.8% ABV)
Around 39 IBU
15 SRM

.. according to BeerSmith.

My questions are is the chocolate addition (added for color) appropriate for the style or would I be better off with something different.. is my hop schedule/hop choices close.. am I overboard on Crystal and is 5.5 of Munich LME over the top (Should I substitute with some Pilsen?)

Any and all advice appreciated and I'll take the snarky, witty anecdotes you'll surely provide as well.

The crystal is a bit much, though there is variance. I prefer a dry altbier with no crystal. Others prefer some. But if you do, id go with a touch of caramunich/c60.

If you can get carafa special, that might be better for color adjustment, otherwise a 1/4 of chocolate isnt going to be terrible.

5.5 of munich is fine. The wheat id replace with pils. But its only a lb. I wouldnt worry about it.

The hops are fine. Any noble type will work. 40 IBU is spot on.

If you have temp control, i prefer wyeast1007 on the cold side, though wlp029 can make a good alt if you have it.

The big thing is getting it crisp enough. (another reason id drop at least some of the crystal). Also after fermentation is complete, at least a month of cold conditioning near freezing in the keg (or after carbonation in the bottles) will help a lot.

+1 to dropping the crystal. Not the right flavor for this style imho.

I wouldn't use chocolate malt in an alt, so +1 for using carafa special for color. I would think 2-3oz should do it. Check beersmith to see color. I also like to add a small amount of caramunich (the carapils you spec'd should work though) and aromatic, but I think the aromatic is more of a personal preference thing.

Generally Pilsen and Munich are the choice malts for an alt. I'd go maybe 5 lbs pilsen LME and 1.5 lbs munich LME, give or take. I generally like to keep it (speaking roughly) 3 parts pilsen to 1 part munich in terms of base grains, + carafa spec for color.

Re: the yeast - I also prefer WY1007, but the yeast you spec'd should be just fine.

Hops seem fine. I do magnum and tettnang myself

Back