Critique/help w amber ale recipe!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
Making an amber for the next batch,, here is what I'm thinking at the moment for the grains for the 5 gallon batch-

6lbs light lme
1lb crystal 60
0.5lb carapils
0.5lb victory

-how am I looking here? Anything you guys would recommend changing? Adding? Omitting? Thanks!

Medium crystal and Carapils do similar thing in terms of residual sweetness, head attention so you don't need both, I'd keep the medium because of the colour.

I use small quantities of dark crystal and pale chocolate in my amber to give a toasty note and darker colour (4 ounces maybe). Not sure what %s you are aiming for and LME contributes different level of fermentables compared to grain but it is 6 lbs base, 2 lbs speciality, 25%. Sounds like a sweet finish. Maybe not intended ..

Yea thought the 25% would be a hit too high... How's this one?

6lb Amber lme
1lb light dme
.75 lb crystal 60
.5 lb victory
2 oz chocolate

Also what hops does everyone like for an American Amber?

Yea thought the 25% would be a hit too high... How's this one?

6lb Amber lme
1lb light dme
.75 lb crystal 60
.5 lb victory
2 oz chocolate

Also what hops does everyone like for an American Amber?

I have a recipe that is semi-similar--I think you're going to like it. Agreed about the redundancy of Crystal and Carapils.

Here's what I'm doing; it's pretty darned close to what I want, my next batch will mash a bit lower so i can get a little bit drier finish.

8.5# Maris Otter
3.5# Pale Malt 2-row
1# Crystal Malt (60L)
1 ounce Northern Brewer Hops (60 min)
2 ounces Goldings (5 minutes)
S-04 Yeast

It makes a heavier beer, I want to tone it down a bit, but the flavor is terrific. I'll probably drop a pound or perhaps 2# of the Maris Otter, mash at 150 or 149 instead of 152, and see what I get.

So--I think your revised one above will turn out nicely.

As a thought, my favorite amber had Special B in it. about 4 oz in a 5.75 gal batch. I liked the mix of crystal in it as it really gave the flavor depth. Used a pound of 60L as well. My roasted malt was dehusked Carafa II (3oz). Came out slightly darker than style dictates, but since it is not competition, who cares.

Turned out completely amazing.

Did an ounce of Centennial @ 60, 1 oz Cascade @ 20, and 2 oz Ahtanum @ 5min. Have to say it balanced pretty nice with the malts.

Used Denny's Favorite yeast.

For bottling, reduced some Grade B maple syrup from 8oz to 6oz before priming (low simmer, cool to room temp). That was just enough maple to find it if someone told you it was in there, but more importantly it added a super smooth, almost woody/nutty something in the background that really made everything come together.

I'm thinking willamette at the end... Recommendations on what to use as initial bittering?

How's this look?

60- 1 oz northern Brewer
30- 1 oz northern Brewer
5- 1 oz willamette
1- 1 oz willamette
??
Gives about 31 ibu

I'd stick with your original plan of using all light extract so you can control the amounts of specialty grains. There is going to be some crystal in the amber extract but you don't really know how much. I think the hop combo is nice, would be leaning a bit more toward the hopping for a brown ale rather than a citrusy pale ale. I'd just use the 60 min addition for bittering myself, but I know some like to include a 30 min.

Back