Crimes Against Beer-manity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#2. Wait staff that are uninformed about the beer selection:

Me: What style of beer is that?

Them: I dunno, it's a dark beer. I won't try it.

#3) The introdution of rice as a major brewing ingredient by the "big three" back in the 60's.

All in an effort to dumb down the flavor and widen profit margins.

BierMuncher said:
#3) The introdution of rice as a major brewing ingredient by the "big three" back in the 60's.

I don't think that BMC type beers are such a terrible thing. They have their place, like in a parking lot before a football game. A couple of Coors Lights and BBQ at a tailgater - that's livin'.

Now a nice ale with a good meal - that's an entirely different sort of experience. You wouldn't want to guzzle 5 homebrews then stumble into the stadium, likewise you wouldn't want to drink Bullet with your filet.

Just my rapidly devaluing .02.

#4) Capturing all those poor defenseless skunks, squeezing all the juice out of their glands, diluting it with a light lager, then bottling under the name "Rolling Rock".

blacklab said:
... You wouldn't want to guzzle 5 homebrews then stumble into the stadium...

Depends on the HB. I've over 1/2 dozen recipes that are under 4.0%. My 60-schilling is 2.6%. All of them are big on flavor, low in alcohol, and no headache inducing fusel alcohol from rice additives.

I’d easily drink more homebrew than BMC under any circumstance.

(continuing the joke from another thread)

You better send some of those to me for testing!

True about the hangover, tho. I rarely get hung from HB.

Charging almost as much for a pint at the bar as for a sixer to go. Do they really think this will motivate me to stay and buy dinner?

Picking up a few nice bottle conditioned imports from the cooler, only to have the stupid cashier dump them on their side and roll them across their register. :mad:

Bernie Brewer said:
#2. Wait staff that are uninformed about the beer selection:

Me: What style of beer is that?

Them: I dunno, it's a dark beer. I won't try it.

It's even worse when it's a brew pub and they look shocked and confused because you asked about the brew pub beer. "Oh, you mean that homebewed stuff? Uh, I'll have to ask."

I could have slapped her, really.

Oh, I have one.

Brewpubs that become succeful because of their beer then the owner gets greedy and fires the brewmaster to save money and because he's decided he can do it all himself. Three months later they are bankrupt.

Another one. Placing green bottled beer next to the window (sunny) in the beer store.

Mis-labled beer on a menu of a place putting itself up as all beer-savvy. They had the country of original in brackets after the beer name and until my strong protestations were proudly listing among their offerings:

Weihenstephan Hefe-Weizen (Belgium)

Because, apparently, their supply was telling them so.

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
Picking up a few nice bottle conditioned imports from the cooler, only to have the stupid cashier dump them on their side and roll them across their register. :mad:

That happened to me last night. I was a little annoyed but at least they let me go back to the shelf and change it out for a different bottle.

david_42 said:
Charging almost as much for a pint at the bar as for a sixer to go. Do they really think this will motivate me to stay and buy dinner?

Unfortunately, they have to do this, because of the taxes. At least that's the way it is in WI, I assume it's the same near you.

Bernie Brewer said:
Unfortunately, they have to do this, because of the taxes. At least that's the way it is in WI, I assume it's the same near you.

In Fla it is 5 cents per 12 oz beer. Now there are other costs, overhead, licensing, etc.

In NC restaurants pay more than grocery stores, but I don't think there is a spacific liquer tax on beer.

But beer cost of goods us usually more percentage wise than food and definately more than booze, which is usually in the 15%-20% (booze) range.

As much as it costs to eat out, independent restaurants usually bring less than 5% to the bottom line.

Sorry, off topic...

BierMuncher said:

There is also the position that it was done to cater to a generation whose tastes were honed on sodie pop. That is not to say that the profit margins were not a welcome outcome as well.

Ordering a Guiness and having it brought to the table still in the bottle, but the bottle is open. Then, having to ask for a glass and by the time the glass gets to the table and the Guiness is poured from the bottle the head is gone (bottle with widget).

What's worse is the fact that on the bottle is says "drink straight from the bottle." So if you have an argumentative server (likely) you have no ground to stand on. I've started just drinking Iced tea with my dinner.

In Alaska- 7$ a pint on the cheap side. Thanks City of anchorage for raising the Alcohol tax 400%

Course I did order a RIS one night and recieved it in a pint glass. About 6oz larger than supposed to be for the same price!

Flyin' Lion said:
So if you have an argumentative server (likely) you have no ground to stand on.

Free market principals apply. tell your server what you want, when they protest, leave. $$$ is always a pretty long leg to stand on.

·Your sister-in-law's husband bypassing your homebrew trove (3 taps and a fridge of bottles) for a stray can of PBR that you had leftover from a tubing trip last july...

Evan! said:
·Your sister-in-law's husband bypassing your homebrew trove (3 taps and a fridge of bottles) for a stray can of PBR that you had leftover from a tubing trip last july...

Shoot, that's no crime. He did you a favor. :)

About the highest crime I see is failing to properly maintain lines. It's rare, but some places still do not clean and maintain their beer lines properly. It is a real crime when the brewery and distributor do everything they can to get the beer to the bar in good shape, and then the bar screws it up with a dirty line. Then, the customer has to complain, and the whole time turns sour (pun intended).

Oh, and I also friggin' hate it when they bring me a 10 oz. glass for a 12 oz. beer.

TL

Evan! said:

Definitely better than the more annoying person who opens a homebrew, u see them taste and wince. They then go around the corner and come back with an empty glass. WASTE!

TexLaw said:
Shoot, that's no crime. He did you a favor. :)

About the highest crime I see is failing to properly maintain lines. It's rare, but some places still do not clean and maintain their beer lines properly. It is a real crime when the brewery and distributor do everything they can to get the beer to the bar in good shape, and then the bar screws it up with a dirty line. Then, the customer has to complain, and the whole time turns sour (pun intended).

Oh, and I also friggin' hate it when they bring me a 10 oz. glass for a 12 oz. beer.

TL

Oh, well, far be it from me to force people to drink my liquid gold---it just never ceases to amaze me how deadset some people are against anything but A.L.L.

Back