Crime against humanity!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtopia

"Greenwood Aged Beer"
Reaction score
Just got this email today from a friend of mine.

Someone broke into my garage
Sunday night and stole all of my beer. All my fred from the wood, all my
world wide stout, all my thomas hardy ale, all my rodenbach grand cru, plus
9 cases or so of other assorted beers. Three carboys of aging mead
including the one my wife and I made for our wedding 5 years ago. A carboy
of beer. Everything. Gone. Not to mention an old laptop I used for
brewing that had all of my beer recipes on it, and naturally I don't have
any backups.

Can you believe it? We're forming a posse to track down the thievin' bastiges! Who's with us?

Well, sucks that it happened. Either they are beer thieves and that 's all they were after, or that's all they took that was significant to your friend. :)
Anyway, they musta been hard up for some homebrew to take the full carboys. They should be jailed for life, unless the beer is found dumped out somewhere. In that case, DEATH!!!

Sorry just put my daughter to bed. :confused: Ever seen any Doctor Febes movies. Tried to talk to SWMBO about them tonight. Used to play them locally at nite called the " Prime Time Playhouse Theater". Any of these treatments MIGHT be sufficient :mad: !!!! Catch the next wave Bro. If not paddle out. RR

Watch out for the small ads. they may try to sell the gear.
Speak to all the neighbours. They must have had transportation.

I always have beer stolen from my fridge. 24 in there two days ago and now there is 6. Bugger.

brewtopia, lemme know if you need local help :) Its a crime against all local brewers!

Given that they stole a bunch of low value items (and a laptop but that was probably a target of opportunity) it had to be about the alcohol--- and stealing craft brews is simply not a profitable enterprise. Unless you are too young to buy alcohol.

I'm betting it was your kids, kids' friends or neighborhood kids who know you well enough to know that that is, in fact, beer.

kornkob said:
Given that they stole a bunch of low value items (and a laptop but that was probably a target of opportunity) it had to be about the alcohol--- and stealing craft brews is simply not a profitable enterprise. Unless you are too young to buy alcohol.

I'm betting it was your kids, kids' friends or neighborhood kids who know you well enough to know that that is, in fact, beer.

I concur. Put the word out in the neighborhood, maybe even a "no prosecution, just give it back to me" message.

Ya, that has kids written all over it. A garage full of beer is like fort knox for teenagers - a REAL tempting target if it's not well guarded.

kornkob said:

Exactly...chances are you don't have to look too far to find your culprits.

I was thinking kids, too. If they're like I was, they'd drink right from the carboy, so put out an APB for the high schools to look out for troublemakers who seem to be spending an awful amount of time on the sh!tter.

That really, really sucks for him. The laptop might show up on Craigslist if your friend is lucky, but I would doubt it.

But, yeah, it had to be kids, I think. Beer isn't exactly the most cost-effective item to steal - lot of bulk for not a lot of value, especially since homebrew can't have much black market value except to those who are underage. Underage, but old enough to drive...

I'm game for beating up some high school kids, if you weren't 3k miles away...

the_bird said:
But, yeah, it had to be kids, I think. Beer isn't exactly the most cost-effective item to steal - lot of bulk for not a lot of value, especially since homebrew can't have much black market value except to those who are underage. Underage, but old enough to drive...

I'm game for beating up some high school kids, if you weren't 3k miles away...

Breaking into someones house and stealing something so specialized and low value such as a bunch of craft beer and homebrew definitely suggests that the thieves were there specifically to steal that and knew where to go for it.

I had a friend experience a break-in once where the only thing the thieves stole was a handful of well hidden family heirloom items that belonged to his soon-to-be ex-wife's family....course when the cops found this stuff in her brother's car, it was no surprise.

Good Lord. Man I would be furious. The ABSOLUTE WORSE PART is the recipes. I mean that is horrid. It had to have been someone in the know. had to.

brewt00l said:
Exactly...chances are you don't have to look too far to find your culprits.

Oh-- and I put my money on your kids and your kids' friends. Nothing like a little social insecurity and some peer pressure to set up a little B&E.

Oh yeah, underage and stupid at that. Why didn't they steal either the bottles or kegs. That's at least done and ready to drink.

If I didn't live 2000+ miles away from you, I'd be there in a minute to find the perpetrators of this crime. :mad:

I'm guessing it's anheuser bush, they knew your beer was too good, and they had to put a stop to it. They wanted your recipes so they could dilute it, add carcinogens, and sell it to the masses!

...or wait, maybe it was PhillipMorris, those people know how to party (especially since Kraft owns them, I mean come on, free MacNCheese!?)

rdwj said:
A garage full of beer is like fort knox for teenagers - a REAL tempting target if it's not well guarded.
That is why I use a Gun Safe with a Mini Fridge inside instead of guns.. also keeps me from drinking too much cause after a few I forget the combination to my beer!

SpamDog

Back