Creative Fermentation Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shocker

Reaction score
So I work at a restaurant that has 5 gallon pickle buckets. I wanted to use these as my fermentation buckets but I read all over the internet that you can't get the smell of pickle out of the buckets, which is a lye. I use some to clean my fish tanks and they do not smell at all. You just have to clean them over and over. Anyways just for fun I used two to do a 5 gallon brew of a amber ale (New ones. Not the ones I use for my fish.). I couldn't find anything on the internet that said it would kill my brew. So I cleaned the buckets for a bout an hour to get the worst of the smell out. When I put the wort in it smelled just like a good wort. When I opened the buckets to do the bottling I put my head as close as I could and took a big whiff. It smelled bad. So bad that it burned the back of my throat. Didn't think that through before I took a whiff. I kept going even after that and put it in the bottling bucket. It smelled a little better once it was out of the pickle buckets. Almost like what it should smell like. Bottled the my brew and today I popped one open. It smells just like it should. Looks like it should. The only issue I have is that there is a hint of a pickle taste at the end. I gave one to a friend with out telling him I used the pickle buckets. He can't tell at all. He is telling me that it taste good. Normally I get great from this guy. This is the first good.

Anyone else use pickle buckets or another type of bucket they got for free to use as a fermenter?

I don't have any experience with pickling buckets. But dude. I get food safe buckets for $4.75. If you think there's an issue, throw down the 5 bucks man.

No issues just thought I would try it. I got food safe buckets for my home brew set up. We throw out four of these buckets a week and I saw other people asking bout using pickle buckets for fermenting. So I figured I would try it. I might be the only one stupid enough to try using pickle buckets for fermenting. But honestly I just wanted to see if anyone else had tried using them.

I recently bought 3 gallons of pretzels from Costco. They came in a big clear plastic "jar". I'm fermenting 2 gallons of a nut brown ale in it now. Turns out it's not a great fermentation vessel... the lid doesn't seal very tightly. I probably won't use it for this again, but it was an interesting experiment.

I too have used 2gl PET pretzel barrels with success. Next on my list to purchase are vittles vaults for 7 and 10gl batches. There is even a 20gl model that can be had for 40 bucks.

@Shocker.

I feel ya man. Sorry if I came across as a ******! Hope your beer comes out! I'd for sure drink it! Cheers.

Gixxer said:
I too have used 2gl PET pretzel barrels with success. Next on my list to purchase are vittles vaults for 7 and 10gl batches. There is even a 20gl model that can be had for 40 bucks.

If you go with a 20 gal (and to a lesser extent a 10 gal) make sure you have a plan to siphon into it, leave it where it is, and siphon out after fermentation. That much liquid will weigh a lot.

I tried making beer in an old pickle bucket that I had scrubbed and rinsed till I Thought I could not smell it anymore. Some of the worst beer I ever made because the smell just comes back. For 4 gallon and smaller sized brews I use white plastic food grade buckets from Walmart that cost under $4 incluing the lid.

I work in a pharma plant. I'm surrounded buy some of the most impressive tanks and carboys that have ever existed every night. I get 6 gallon food grade buckets as often as I can. The other really impressive stuff is a no go... the inputs come in the buckets triple bagged and if ingested, would give you bad gas. I take 10 or so to brew club each month if I think of it. Share the wealth, ya know?..

I got chocolate syrup and coffee syrup buckets from my local dairy for $1.50ea. I have not fermented in them. I store my grain in them.

Home Depot buckets cost $2.60 for the orange ones and 3 something for the white ones.

ktblunden said:
If you go with a 20 gal (and to a lesser extent a 10 gal) make sure you have a plan to siphon into it, leave it where it is, and siphon out after fermentation. That much liquid will weigh a lot.

You are 100% correct about the weight. Although I have already thought about that I am sure some folks have not and ended up in a situation not being able to move their beer.

You said you work in a restaurant. Look for the 35# box/jug of oil that you use to fill your fryers. When you change the oil, you usually throw 2-3 of those empty containers away right? Instead take them home, soak in dish soap, oxyclean, pbw, and whatever else it takes to break down the oil inside. I am using them for sours so I don't infect my normal equipment.

2012-05-29_19-00-39_498.jpg

LHBS (well, one of two mail order spots in my country) gives away their bulk extract buckets. 21 liters and $6 shipping for 3 of them. Great for secondaries and Apfelwein.

I use Briess 33# LME growlers (free from LHBS) for fermenting small test batched (2 1/2 gallon) and these fit in a mini fridge real easy for making lagers.

The 3.5 gallon bucket I got from my local Publix bakery is really nice and has a gasket lid.

Funny I have a beer that is infected (unintentionally) and it has a pickle like smell and taste. I keep it around for a giggle when the home brew club is over...

Back