Creamy Weißbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam88

Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm planning to brew a Weißbier, and i need some help about it.
This will be the first time i will use a keg system.
My main goal is:
-get the banana flavoured taste (from the ester of the yeast)
-get a "creamy" taste (I was in a german brewhouse in Freiburg few years ago. It was called Martin's Brau(?). They had a weissbier and it tasted soooooo awesome. It had a creamy taste i have never felt before and i want to feel this again. ) I've read that adding lactose can make the beer a bit creamy, but i have never used it before.

The banana flavour will be solved by the yeast and the fermentation temperature if i'm right.

Could you please give me some advices about the second point, the creamy taste? Lactose is what i need? If yes how shall i use it?

(p.s.: i will use a water profile calculator for the proper water profile, the method will be BIAB, the goal is 20l(~5.2 gal) beer )

Thanks in advance!

#weissbier #creamy #lactose

You won't find lactose in any commercial German Weissbier. We are fairly straight regarding our Reinheitsgebot which does not include lactose as a possible ingredient.

The creamyness comes from correct mashing schedules and lots of malted wheat in the grain bill.

You won't find lactose in any commercial German Weissbier. We are fairly straight regarding our Reinheitsgebot which does not include lactose as a possible ingredient.

The creamyness comes from correct mashing schedules and lots of malted wheat in the grain bill.

Hello! Thanks for the reply! Yes, i've read about the German Beer Purity Law, i just thought maybe there is a "new-wave" weissbier or something. But in this case i will forgot lactose. :yes:

For the yeast i'm planning to go with WY3068 with temp. ~20-22 celsius.

For the fermentables my plan is to use these : https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/350572/vgb-paulaner-hefe-weissbier-clone or very similar (ofc half amount for 20l).

For the mashing temps i'm planning the following: 44, 66, 74, 78 (in celsius).

What are you think, Is this "guideline" is okay?

I only used white wheat and 2 row . Think it was wlp300 or 380 . It was the hefeweizen yeast . I pitched @ 66 then let it get up to 69 . Banana notes were really good . I wanted the banana and clove to be balanced but slightly more towards banana and it came out really good.

I wanna know how you got the german double "S" in your title...
In Windows, while holding the “Alt” key down type “0223”. On an Android or Apple touchscreen, press the “s” key and slide up (without lifting your finger) and select the desired symbol. I don’t have a windows device with a touchscreen; those might have the “press and slide” option, as well.

Thank you for starting this discussion. I got bored brewing regular beer and I thought about how to diversify my drinks a little bit, you helped me, it doesn't sound complicated and I think it will taste interesting if it works!

Back