Creamy Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Is this normal? I'm used to seeing a foamy type krausen, but I've noticed over the past few days that my Krausen is very creamy looking, almost gelatin like.

The Krausen has been there for 5 days too, figured it would have subsided a bit by now. I poured on top of a fresh yeast cake from my dunkelweizen. It blew out like CRAZY for about a day.

I can't sniff it right now to see if it smells ok because I have it rigged up kind of wierd. My blow off tube is a litttttle to small for the opening (I don't have many options at the 1 German hardware store within 45 minutes of me) so I sanitized some aluminum foil and wrapped it around the opening and tube then I sealed it on with duct tape.

7564-creamykrausen.jpg

Well, I went ahead and moved it to a secondary bucket. I knows its early, but the gravity was 1.014 (down from 1.056) and it is mostly wheat. Sample tasted great.

I'm still curious though, is this because of my wierd grain bill? wheat/pale malt/munich/roasted barley/chocolate barley and special b? Who is the culprit causing the creaminess... should I expect a head like this? I pitched on a wlp300 slurry. I actually bottle the dunkel that was original on that slurry today and poured this guy on top of the small amount of sediment and about 1 inch of beer left in that bucket.... gonna be an interesting brew for sure.

my recent wheat beer (with some munich) has a rather kreamy krausen :D i wouldn't worry. sounds good, actually, and no i don't think you'll get that kind of head on the beer.

Back