Creaminess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
I want a really creamy beer. I use lactose with every brew that I have made but have not been impressed with the result. Should I add more lactose? Is their something else that I could try? I typically brew 5 gal batch at a time and use a whole bag of lactose.

lactose is just adding sweetness, and maybe a tiny bit of viscosity. Mash higher for that thicker mouthfeel, but mashing some flaked oats will indeed give you that silky, creamy mouthfeel.

daksin said:
lactose is just adding sweetness, and maybe a tiny bit of viscosity. Mash higher for that thicker mouthfeel, but mashing some flaked oats will indeed give you that silky, creamy mouthfeel.

When do I add the oats an how much?

what was it?... about 5% or so oats?....(if i remember corectly) during the mash. Or you will have to do a minimash if you'r not all grain brewing

Are you all-grain, or extract?

I agree with higher mash temp (155) and about a half pound to pound of flaked oats in the mash with the other grains. I do this with many of my beers and it gives them a nice full, smooth feel.

Braufessor said:
Are you all-grain, or extract?

I agree with higher mash temp (155) and about a half pound to pound of flaked oats in the mash with the other grains. I do this with many of my beers and it gives them a nice full, smooth feel.

I do extract. Not talented enough to try AG yet.

Have you noticed adding a pound of lactose makes a really sweet beer?

By creamy, I assume you mean a thicker, less watery mouthfeel. You can add maltodextrin to the boil to make your watery beer thicker. It doesn't make it sweet or change the flavor.

Try doing a mini mash/ brew in a bag for a brew. Get 3 lb of 2row, a pound of flaked oats, and whatever specialty grains you want for color/roastiness. Get them crushed. Put in a straining bag that is big enough (they should have these at brew store). Bring 1.5-2 gallons of water up to 165. Add grain bag and stir the grains around inside the bag to get them saturated. Make sure temp. settles in around 155. Put lid on and let it sit for 45 min. to an hour. After that time, have some 168 degree water on hand. Lift the bag out and rinse some water through the grain to wash out any remaining sugar. Don't squeeze the grain bag out, but let it drain out. Top up with more water and some extract and proceed just like normal. This might get you what you are looking for in a fuller beer. Also, a good way to dip your toe into all-grain brewing and you will see it is not much harder.

Try doing a mini mash/ brew in a bag for a brew. Get 3 lb of 2row, a pound of flaked oats, and whatever specialty grains you want for color/roastiness. Get them crushed. Put in a straining bag that is big enough (they should have these at brew store). Bring 1.5-2 gallons of water up to 165. Add grain bag and stir the grains around inside the bag to get them saturated. Make sure temp. settles in around 155. Put lid on and let it sit for 45 min. to an hour. After that time, have some 168 degree water on hand. Lift the bag out and rinse some water through the grain to wash out any remaining sugar. Don't squeeze the grain bag out, but let it drain out. Top up with more water and some extract and proceed just like normal. This might get you what you are looking for in a fuller beer. Also, a good way to dip your toe into all-grain brewing and you will see it is not much harder.

I think I may try this for my next brew!
Why is it, that you need to mash with base grain, the 2 row in this case, in order for the flaked oaks to produce fermentables, and if you just steep the flaked oats, with no base grain, it will not??

Also I have heard flaked barley, and rye will make it thicker as well. Just something I have read within the last day.

Yes - they need the enzymes in the 2 row for conversion. I believe you are right about the flaked barley and rye, but I have not used them in beer - I have always used flaked oats. Here is a good video on BIAB to show you - this is for a full all-grain, as opposed to a partial mash - but, basically the same principal. Also shows how easy it is to transition to all-grain if you want to do so without buying much more in the way of equipment.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewingtv/

When you say "creamy", exactly what are you referring to?

Do you mean more along the lines of a Guinness, or Murphy's or perhaps Tetley's? Because those beers achieve the "creaminess" in a completely different way (use of nitrogen). You're going to be hard-pressed to duplicate that unless you start kegging, and with some specific equipment that's much different than standard CO2 pouring.

Yes like Guinness. I knew they used nitrogen. I was just looking for another way that I could experiment with.

MisterTipsy said:
Have you noticed adding a pound of lactose makes a really sweet beer?

By creamy, I assume you mean a thicker, less watery mouthfeel. You can add maltodextrin to the boil to make your watery beer thicker. It doesn't make it sweet or change the flavor.

Thanks! That's what I am looking for

I have had good luck adding approx 5% wheat malt to some beers for that "creamy" mouthfeel. You could do a mini-mash really easy.

Back