Creame Ale and Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ercscotty

Reaction score
So, once again a Mr. Beer critique. I decided to go with the UME's and purchased the following and am intending to make the following. I included the "details and descriptions" Mr. Beer's website offers: Can anyone also explain what I've been reading about hop boil times???

Creamy Brown UME
The most complex blend of pilsner, caramel, and chocolate malts are expertly combined to produce this marvelously rich, deep brown UME.
Fuggle Pellet Hops
Known as a traditional aroma hop with a mild and pleasant spiciness, it has the perfect aroma for all your English style ales.
Northern Brewers Pellet Hops
This is a clean, bitter flavored hop with a distinctive woody taste. The signature hop in California Common style (AKA "steam") beers of San Francisco.
Palisade Pellet
Palisades are bred from a Tettnang cultivar and provide an earthy and slightly spicy character. Great in American and English style Ales.

Pale Ale
Blended with mostly mild pale malts, a touch of Vienna and caramel malt is also added for a residual candy overtone.
Cascade Pellet Hops
It has a distinctive, fragrant, and floral aroma. Used in Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.
Centinnial Pellet Hops
Strong floral aroma and citrus-like flavor
Palisade Pellet
Palisades are bred from a Tettnang cultivar and provide an earthy and slightly spicy character. Great in American and English style Ales.
Yeast
Creame Ale – Safbrew T-58 Dry Ale Yeast
Known for its high ester, spicy and peppery flavor profile, and ability to tolerate high alcohol conditions (up to 11.5% v/v), T-58 is a great choice for any Belgian Trappist or specialty ale style.
Temperature Range: 59°-75° F
Pale Ale – Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast
This yeast produces superb flavor profiles and is used for the production of a varied range of top fermented special beers, from witbier and Belgian ales to interesting English and American styles. Best for low to moderate abv brews.
Temperature Range: 59°-75° F

Critique, laugh, give me crap, say good luck with those taste buds, or give me some help...let me know.

Thanks all...
SC

Not exactly sure what you mean about what you've been reading.... but in general, hop boil time affect alpha acid utilization (longer boil=more bitterness), flavor, and aroma. Typically, if you want aroma out hops, you will add the aroma addition near the end of the boil (last 10 or so minutes, or dry hopping-no boil) which give lots of aroma, but little to no bitterness. You will typically use hops for bitterness, but if the particular recipe requires hop aroma, then you will have the late addition of often a different strain of hop.

see: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5-1.html

Thanks for the information BigB. I guess I'm playing a little bit of mad scientist...hmmm sounds like a good name for a brew.

Back