Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cgoldberg3

Reaction score
Brewed this today as a 2.5 gallon BIAB batch. Kept the grain bill and hops the same as OP except I added about 10% torrified wheat for head retention, since a lot of posters complained it wasn’t very good. Got an OG of 1.053, pitched US-05 at 68F and stuck it in the basement. Sounds like this recipe can be a quick turn-around so I’m hoping to be drinking this within 3-4 weeks.

Saunassa

Rice River Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
Reaction score
Absolutely....although, since you're Canadian, my grudge against you for relegating us to silver medals in hockey in Salt Lake AND Vancouver is still strong. 😜 🏒🥈

I brewed 4 gallons. It was:

61.5% Vienna malt (4 lbs)
23.1% Flaked corn (1.5 lbs)
7.7% Minute Rice (.5 lbs)
7.7% Special roast (.5lbs)

.75 oz Tettenang @ 60
.50 oz Tettenang @ 30
.25 oz Tettenang @ 15

US-05 yeast

Primary 14 days; Secondary 10 days; Kegged

This version benefits from a week or two in the keg due to the subtle roast flavor, I believe. The longer it's been in the keg, the more a delightful caramel/nutty note has been developing, thanks to using Vienna malt as the base.

Drinking a pint now. It's lovely on a wintery 50 degree night here in San Diego. :)
After reading your recipe I scaled it up for a 5.5g batch. Due to how hot it is in Northern Minnesota I used a pack of Voss and am fermenting @85f and the beast was blowing water from airlock within 2 hours and 24 hours later down to 1.021
I like seeing the color of the beer and getting a taste before fermentation when possible. Poured a glass of the trub and let sit for a few hours in the fridge. I think color looks good and nicely flavored. Now to wait at least a week or 2 for it to drop clear.
IMG_20210612_223843111.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Romex2121

Reaction score
Finally broke down and placed an order to make Cream of three crops , plan is to use the original recipe and see how it goes.
after browsing thru just about every post
(Whew !!) the one thing I’m nervous about is the corn taste & sweetness a lot of folks talked about , I’ve never used flaked corn or rice so I’m not sure what I’m in for.
Anyone have a good 5 / 5.5gallon break down of the original recipe ??
I’ve played with it in Brewers Friend a bit but was curious what others came up with ….

Consigliere

Reaction score
Finally broke down and placed an order to make Cream of three crops , plan is to use the original recipe and see how it goes.
after browsing thru just about every post
(Whew !!) the one thing I’m nervous about is the corn taste & sweetness a lot of folks talked about , I’ve never used flaked corn or rice so I’m not sure what I’m in for.
Anyone have a good 5 / 5.5gallon break down of the original recipe ??
I’ve played with it in Brewers Friend a bit but was curious what others came up with ….
Just cut the original recipe in half and adjust slightly for your efficiency if needed.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
The corn and sweetness will ferment out. Wort is just like water from boiling fresh corn. Great entry beer that everyone will enjoy.

catdaddy66

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just bottled my cream of 3 crops, rendition 2021. Used 2row, flaked time and flaked barley. No corn this time. Got crazy efficiency with wlp080, OG was 1.054 and FG?? She was a dry 1.000!! 7.1% abv is a win in my book 😃

Romex2121

Reaction score
How much Dextrin or Carapils would be good for a decent head (retention) ??
5.5 gallon brew using the following
6 lbs of 2 row
1.5 lb of flaked corn
.5 lb of flaked rice
1/2 lb or so of rice hulls ( just incase )
This grain bill gets me around 4.3 ABV
Using US-05 yeast.
Shooting for around 17 IBU,s using hops from original recipe at 60 min.

cgoldberg3

Reaction score
I used I think 6 ounces of torrified wheat for head retention and it did the job very well. Only thing to consider is that it will hurt the clarity a bit.

Saunassa

Rice River Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
Reaction score
Don't know if it is common with this recipe but the beer I kegged mid August was much better after a month and now almost 2 months later is so good that I have to be careful. Bit more malt flavor and smooth.
It has never lasted this long, others tend to drink it up. Is this common that a month in keg makes such a difference?

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if it is common with this recipe but the beer I kegged mid August was much better after a month and now almost 2 months later is so good that I have to be careful. Bit more malt flavor and smooth.
It has never lasted this long, others tend to drink it up. Is this common that a month in keg makes such a difference?
It was basically lagered for that month in the keg, so my experience is, yeah it is pretty common. With good Ox containment most beers are better with a little lager time. :mug:

rtstrider

Reaction score
Yes that is very normal! I plan on rebrewing this with the White Labs Cream Ale yeast blend. I really don't care for US-05/1056 and don't feel like that's the best yeast for this recipe. I really feel using the White Labs cream ale yeast blend wlp080 or wlp029/Imperial G-03 would work exceptionally better here. My next choice would be Wyeast 1007 but the only thing is that takes forever to clear.

brue

Reaction score
I used 6.5lb pale 2-row, 2lb flaked corn and 1lb flaked rice for my 5 gallon batch. It came in a little higher than I expected at 5.7%. I also had a ton of acetaldehyde with this batch for some reason. I learned my lesson, don’t rush it, keep in fermenter for a few weeks at least, and make sure the sample tastes ok before cold crashing. Also build up a pipeline haha. I will say, the cidery, green apple taste is starting to calm down some but I can still smell it. I can tell the recipe is good though. I really like the slight corn aftertaste it leaves you with. Also has good head retention and leaves great lacing for what I thought might be a thin beer. Can’t wait to brew it again and hopefully avoid the acetaldehyde so I can get 5 gallons of good beer.

Attachments