Cream of 4 crops no sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
I am thinking about trying out the cream of 3 crops recipe with some revisions. From what I have gathered for a 5.5 Gallon I will need:
6lbs 2 row pale malt
2lbs flaked corn
1lb minute rice
.5 oz Willamette at 60
.5 oz crystal at 60

90 minute mash at 152
90 minute boil to dry it out.

I used a biab calculator and came up with needing 8 gallons of water to start off with assuming I lose 1.25 gallons an hour in the boil and the grains will soak up some too.

My main question is how much extra grain/ water should I need in order to match the original recipes efficiency? Trying to keep it as simple as possible while trying my first AG.

I usually use 1/3rd more grain when I go no sparge. Set your mash calculator to "0" for sparge for your mash volume. I tried this method to save time. It didn't, as it took longer to heat the larger mash volume all at once. Good luck!

looks right to me I do a 90 min mash with a 60 min boil but you can do a 90 min one if you like

I just brewed it for 13 th time on Sunday I like this recipe

do you only boil off 1.25 a hour? I boil off a 1.5 gallon a hour in a 16 gallon pot

are you going to try mash with the total amount of water you need for the boil?

I do not do BIAB but I do use a bag in a cooler but mine is more of a three vessel setup and I batch sparge

I do a single batch sparge to get my pre boil volume my kettle is marked so I do a mash

then just sparge with what ever I need

all the best

S_M

looks right to me I do a 90 min mash with a 60 min boil but you can do a 90 min one if you like

I just brewed it for 13 th time on Sunday I like this recipe

do you only boil off 1.25 a hour? I boil off a 1.5 gallon a hour in a 16 gallon pot

are you going to try mash with the total amount of water you need for the boil?

I do not do BIAB but I do use a bag in a cooler but mine is more of a three vessel setup and I batch sparge

I do a single batch sparge to get my pre boil volume my kettle is marked so I do a mash

then just sparge with what ever I need

all the best

S_M
I was going off the pre determined amount set in the biab calculator for how much water boils out. That is the info I'm looking for though.

I was going off the pre determined amount set in the biab calculator for how much water boils out. That is the info I'm looking for though.

the way to know your boil off rate is to do a boil, calculators are good but they are far from the end all be all

as to the volume of water you need if I use a calculator for my sprage water I would have way too much water

that is why having you kettle marked or a way of knowing you volume in the kettle is helpful

Total Grain Weight in Pounds x .20 = Approximate Gallons of Water Absorbed by the Grains

works pretty well so with your boil off rate and grain bill about 8.55 gallons

all the best

S_M

Did some more research. Seems like most people calculate for the grain to absorb about .125 gallons of water per pound of grain and most people expect 1.25-1.5 gallons to boil off per hour. My main question is how much extra grain will I need for a no sparge? Some people have said that the efficiency is very close and the others say you may need up to 20% more grain! I would like to be pretty close to the expected OG if possible.

I will split the difference and calculate 10% extra grain. So that means I will need:
6.6 lbs pale 2 row
2.2 lbs flaked corn
1.1 lbs minute rice

That is basically 10lbs of grain so my expected absorption should be 1.25 gallons. If I calculate 1.5 gallons to boil off in an hour and do the full 90 minute boil then I will lose another 2.25 gallons. That means I will need 9 gallons assuming my grain bill will meet the efficiency correct? Sorry for all the questions, I just like to be prepared when I do something.

Back