Cream corn beer flavored beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any ideas to pull off this flavor profile

• Ingredients that might achieve this flavor profile

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Multi grain, yeast etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is a flavor most brewers intentionally avoid. Strange that someone's first post would just happen to ask for help to produce exactly that flavor. Sounds like some amateur trollery IMHO. Any further info the OP can give about this project would be helpful.

I know a sweet corn farmer that would enjoy a dessert type beer along these lines. It is or was just a thought, for the manufacturer of a legal adult beverage. Thanks for the input.

I haven't had one in probably as long, but unless they've changed it since (possible) Rolling Rock used to be the textbook example of DMS and definitely had a canned/creamed corn thing to it.

I haven't had one in probably as long, but unless they've changed it since (possible) Rolling Rock used to be the textbook example of DMS and definitely had a canned/creamed corn thing to it.
Remember Rock Green Light??...possibly the most offensive beer ever commercialized. All of the creamed corn flavor with half the calories.

I have to be honest, I dealt with 3.2 Coors while going to college in Colorado, handled Lucky and Olympia while living on the Hoods Canal in western WA for a few years, and when I landed back home in MA in the early 70s Rolling Rock was the rage amongst the corporate softballer set. I probably drank a pickup truck worth of it over the years and frankly it was my go-to back then.

I guess 'Rock is still being brewed by someone somewhere. And while my tastes these days are decidedly elsewhere, on a wicked pissah hot summer day I wouldn't turn one down - corn and all :)

Cheers!

Put cans of creamed corn in the mash. Use the best cans you can find and maybe brew a 1 gallon batch to see if you like it. Suppose you could at it post fermentation but you would need to bring it to at least 165 to sanitize. And since that is 165 through and through maybe even let it come to a boil and then chill and add in a secondary because the sugar will ferment again. I feel very confident then what you are looking for can happen by putting it in the mash. A thread popped up about boiled peanut flavor beer and the advice is the same. I don't judge, it's not something that sounds really appealing to me but if I were a corn farmer I'm sure that would be different. I would like to put Lucky Charms in an IPA and I know to some that doesn't sound good. Hope you make this beer and let us know how it goes.

You can also make it an experiment after it's brewed. Like in how you serve it. Maybe serve it with a dash of hot sauce, a Sprinkle of very fine ground parmesan, maybe a dash of garlic salt, I'm not sure but you got the point.

Creamed corn is indeed disgusting. If your friend the corn farmer is craving the flavor perhaps he should tongue kiss some residents of a local retirement home.
Thanks I’ll pass it on.
My buddy made a dark lager and boiled it with lid on kettle. It was exactly like creamed corn. It as also disgusting. I could not finish bottle. I really tried, I did.
Sounds like I’ll have to abort this idea. Thanks for your help.

A little different angle. Brew magazine October 2018 had a cover story on pastry beers. How about cornbread as a dessert style pastry beer?

I used to like Rolling Rock, I never got any creamed corn flavor from it.

Thanks I’ll pass it on.

Sounds like I’ll have to abort this idea. Thanks for your help.
If you really want to serve your corn farming buddy something made with corn, how about just some good corn liquor .Although since he IS a corn farmer, I'm betting hes already got some.

I used to like Rolling Rock, I never got any creamed corn flavor from it.

Same here, but most of that was many, many years ago.

In State College PA they have a bar called the Rathskeller; back in the day, they used to serve, not pitchers of beer, but cases of 7-oz pony bottles of Rolling Rock.

How to order? "Box o' Rocks, please." They'd plunk down the case on the 2"-thick table with all sorts of carvings in it, toss a church key on top, and away you'd go. Price? Six dollars.

I never got the creamed corn taste, but I will say that Rolling Rock was the only beer I've ever had where I was hungover before I was finished drinking it. :)

rollingrockponies.jpg

Haha, My sister went to University of Miami (Florida) and they had a Rathskeller around campus...They affectionately called it "the Rat" .

Look dms from rolling rock and adding quality cream corn to mash are different. One is a generally considered off flavor from boiling with a lid on, the other is intentional flavoring from sweet corn. My guess is they are vastly different. You should not be dissuaded and give a 1g batch a go. Depending on age and looks making out with the retirment home lady might be enjoyable too! :) I am in no position to judge.

Btw, I think it was Dr. Banforth, he didnt mention rolling rock, but alluded it was them, who intentionally put DMS in their beer. The vents sit right above the boil and apparently what's steams off drips back in. If you know that podcast, please share. I think its his 60 min boil discussion on beersmith.

We had a Rathskeller at CSU. It's pretty cool being from Fort Collins. We grew up drinking Sunshine wheat, Fat Tire, frambozen, Odell's, coopersmith's, and left hand to name a few. $5 a cup at our parties was a real thing, there were no freebies. I remember kegs were 100 dollars for half barrell. Seems like a killer deal now. When I got to Nebraksa Lincoln it was old style and old style light. I heard the bar is gone from the basement at csu.

@Eric Larson You can use flaked corn or maize (or even corn grits) in a recipe and make a very nice beer that your friend will like. It won't and shouldn't taste like corn but as a nod to his profession it will have some corn in it.

Back