Cream Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsloan

Reaction score
I'm planning on a Cream Ale for my next batch. I'm working largely off of the BJCP guidelines for the style, and have determined that the primary grain ought to be American 6-row, with no more than 20% corn adjunct. Also, I'm not wanting a significant hops presence on the nose or palate, so I'm tossing in some of my whole leaf Goldings for a full 60 min. boil. Thus far, it's a super simple recipe:

8 lbs 6-row barley
2 lbs flaked corn
1 oz Goldings 60 min
Yeast (?)
Mash @ 154d for 60 min.

Regarding the yeast, the style guidelines mention a lager yeast at an ale temp. Would it be preferrable to go with something like White Labs San Francisco steam beer yeast, or should I just go ahead and toss in some Safale US-05? I haven't tried using a lager yeast at ale temps before. The Wiki says that it's best to find a fermentation temperature around 68d, so that the lager yeast doesn't produce too many esters. However, I can't really guarantee any temp in my basement less than 70. Most of my beers start off the first couple days at 72 while the yeasts are chugging, and then drop to 68 for the remainder of the fermentation.

Used WLP001 Cali Ale yeast in my last Cream Ale. Turned out great. Just choose a yeast with a very clean flavor profile for something like a Cream Ale.

WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend.

It has a lager yeast (sf lager yeast, i think), ale yeast (wlp001, probably) and what I think is the kolsch yeast.

It makes a wonderfully clean, crisp beer (very lager-like) with a consistent fermentation temp anywhere between 55 and 65°F.

I pitched Northwest Ale Yeast and it started fermenting about 12 hours after the brew at 63*F and has been steadily chig/chugging away.

Will this produce diacytal, and need a rest eventually?

- WW

Here is one for you I made a Kolsch with the WLP029 yeast and then pitched this into my cream ale. I took 2nd place in the Michigan State Fair where we had 700+ entries and then I took 3rd in the same category with my cream ale. The beer was perfect and I was very happy with my results.

Back