Cream Ale Extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a light, smooth cream ale that I can rack over strawberry puree. I don't have a large enough brew pot to do anything but extract (it's 4 gallons I believe). This raises the issue of not being able to use corn since I believe it's only useful when going AG.

I'd really like to shoot for something similar to Sun King's Sun Light (light, smooth, almost nutty flavor), but I'm not sure if it's possible with extract.

Anyways, here's what I'm thinking:

5 lbs Light DME
1 lb 10L
1 lb Carapils
.5 lb Flaked Oats
.4 lb Lactose (added with 15 minutes left in the boil)
1 oz Saaz (.5 @ beginning of 60' boil, .5 @ 15' left)
Wyeast Whitbread 1099

Thoughts? Is there any way to use corn effectively in steeping?

This looks tasty
forgive the noob question but why the lactose? Another sugar source?
Would it cause problems for those with lactose problems?
It looks like you have a lot of grain for a cream ale. The recipes I've used have none. FYI

Corn maze can be mashed with the carapils and the 10L. I would drop the lactose. If you want it sweater then mash at a higher temp say 155f. Just my 2 cents in the whole thing. Take a look at the cream of 3 crops recipe, that should give you an idea. I rack that same recipe on cherries and it came out great.

This looks tasty
forgive the noob question but why the lactose? Another sugar source?
Would it cause problems for those with lactose problems?
It looks like you have a lot of grain for a cream ale. The recipes I've used have none. FYI
Lactose isn't fermentable, it's there for sweetness and mouthfeel. I would assume that it wouldn't be good for a lactose intolerant person to drink...

Corn maze can be mashed with the carapils and the 10L. I would drop the lactose. If you want it sweater then mash at a higher temp say 155f. Just my 2 cents in the whole thing. Take a look at the cream of 3 crops recipe, that should give you an idea. I rack that same recipe on cherries and it came out great.
I'll give it a look, thanks for the advice!

My plan is to brew here in a couple of weeks. Here's what I'm thinking:

4 lbs Light DME
1 lb 10L
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Flaked corn
1 oz Saaz (.5 @ beginning of 60' boil, .5 @ 15' left)
Wyeast Whitbread 1099

Rack over ~5lb of fresh strawberries
1-2oz of Brewer's best strawberry extract at bottling

I don't have brew software at work. I would run it thought there first. If I had to guess, this is what I would do. . 5 carapils, . 5 to .8 10L, 1oz of saaz @60, . 25 saaz @ 5. Any other gain added at .25lbs. Remember 1 lbs. Grain equals .6 lbs. DME. You might be a little high for the DME @ 5lbs depending on what og you are, shooting for.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/docs/DesireeCreamAle.pdf

I'm brewing this tomorrow for the second time. I really like it and so does the family.

My father tried it and he was very impressed. He said it reminded him of beer he used to get a long time ago from a liquor store that sold draft beer by the gallon. He said you could go up there with a milk jug and they would just fill-er-up!

I think he said the legal age back then to buy beer was 18!

A true cream ale really should have a good portion of corn. A partial mash dosen't have to be much different than steeping grain. A few pounds of flaked corn and a pound of two row would do. Just steep it loose at 150 for an hour. I'd recommend a paint strainer to do it BIAB style. Get the rest of the gravity from extra light extract.

There is also this extract made with 30% corn.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/AMERICAN-LAGER-EXTRACT-8-LBS-P1342C99.aspx

A true cream ale really should have a good portion of corn. A partial mash dosen't have to be much different than steeping grain. A few pounds of flaked corn and a pound of two row would do. Just steep it loose at 150 for an hour. I'd recommend a paint strainer to do it BIAB style. Get the rest of the gravity from extra light extract.

There is also this extract made with 30% corn.
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/AMERICAN-LAGER-EXTRACT-8-LBS-P1342C99.aspx

I may just do that... Using this guide from this forum:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

So I'd steep the 2 row, 3# flaked maize, and the 1lb of 10L for ~1 hour at ~150? Seems doable to me, not much different than regular steeping (actually it'd be pretty much the exact same minus using that paint strainer bag).

Also, are you referring to something like this?:
http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Pain...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

That one will work, it's just like this one. This is 2 gallon all grain.

P1020726.jpg

How ever much corn you use make sure you have at least 1/3 of the grain bill being American 2-row. You need that much for the diastatic power to convert it all. Letting it mash for 90 minutes is a good idea with that much adjunct.

The 2 gallon bash will work? Even better. Thanks for the help!

So 1/3 ratio is enough for full conversion? I don't want to leave anything on the table

American 2-row can convert that much. It has nearly as high DP as 6-row. It should end up a DP of around 40 or more. I sure wound not use that much adjunct if your not adding extract. 30% of the total recipe is about the limit unless your making BMC.

American 2-row can convert that much. It has nearly as high DP as 6-row. It should end up a DP of around 40 or more. I sure wound not use that much adjunct if your not adding extract. 30% of the total recipe is about the limit unless your making BMC.
Sounds good. Plus with the 10L I should be more than covered I would think.

The aim of the beer is to be somewhat like Sun King Sunlight if you've had it. It's a cream ale that's pretty light, but has what I'd say is a nutty and very slightly bready taste to it. I'm hoping to make a beer to be a session beer for me, but also one my non craft beer drinking friends can enjoy as well

My last partial mash cream ale came out great. For about 4 gallons I used 3 lbs of pilsen dme, and mashed a half pound of corn, half pound of flaked barley, and a pound of two row. I also put in 4 ounces of honey malt.

Bittered with Perle to about 18 IBU with half the hops at 10 minutes.

Very similar to Spotted Cow

Back