Cream Ale?? Blond Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsidebrewingco

Reaction score
2nd brew for the day just a little something I put together I'm my mind and your thoughts are always appreciated.

4 pounds DME
1 pound corn sugar
1 pound clover honey
1oz Cascade
1 oz Centennial
Coopers brewing yeast

I'm looking for a cross between a cream ale and a blond ale but I want to add the zest and juice from 2 lemons at flame out. I have never used the Coopers yeast it came recommended from the brew store.

60 minute boil with all DME and Cascade hops at beginning
At 45 minute mark add corn sugar and honey
At 50 minute mark add the centennial hops
Flame out add the lemon juice and zest

Please give me any thoughts you have on this I'm hoping for a nice easy summer sit around the fire beer.

Also any thoughts on the abc of this one??

I don't know what the AA% is of the hops you have but the IBU is more than likely going to be too high for a cream ale or blonde. I'd probably move one hop addition to the 10-15 min mark and the other around flameout. That may still put you on the borderline of being too hoppy for either style. The hops are nearly nonexistent in cream ales and are very light to moderate in blondes. For a cream ale you basically need one small bittering hop addition while you have a little more leeway with a blonde. Just remember not to overdo it or you stray from the style.
Also I don't know if its just me but that looks like a lot of corn sugar.

FWIW I have a beer in primary now that was based on a similar idea. I basically brewed the Cream of 3 Crops recipe but subbed maris otter for the base malt and added 1oz of Citra @ 10 min for my only hop addition. So far it looks to be very promising.

Should be fairly dry - dextrose and honey both ferment 100%, so no real flavor change from these additions. Around 5 SRM and probably 20-25 IBU.

Should start at 1051 and likely end around 1015 - so 4.7%

Should be fairly dry - dextrose and honey both ferment 100%, so no real flavor change from these additions. Around 5 SRM and probably 20-25 IBU.

Should start at 1051 and likely end around 1015 - so 4.7%

How do you figure those numbers if the batch size was never mentioned :D Seriously though assuming its a 5 gal batch you will have an OG in the ball park of 1.051 but the hop schedule is in the range of 60 IBU depending on the hops AA. Thats IPA territory.
1 oz Cascade at 60 mins would work or something like 1/2 oz Cascade at 60 and 1/2 oz Centennial at 15 for more hop flavor.

Given the dextrose and honey I think the beer could possibly ferment a lot dryer when its done. Closer to 5.5-6%.... not a bad thing if this is what the OP wants but I figure its worth knowing its a possibility. Ive never used that yeast so I don't know how dry it goes. On that note I'm with Yooper on using US05.

Decided to not use the honey. Started with 3pounds Pilsen DME at boil and added 1 oz cascade alpha 7.1% beta 6.6%. at 30 minutes added 1 pound Pilsen DME and 1 pound corn sugar. At 45 minutes added 1oz centennial alpha 9.5% and beta 3.6%. flame out at 50 minutes with the juice and zest of 2 lemons. What do you think??

Back