Crazy sanitation idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui808

Reaction score
Brewing a chocolate coconut Baltic porter, but I just read about a guy who got an infected beer from adding cocoa nibs to secondary, which I am planning on doing, and I got mine from a big dispenser at a hippie store on Maui, so if there are any cocoa nibs with bugs on em, these are them. I am also planning on adding shredded coconut to secondary.

To sanitize these and hopefully avoid an infection I had a crazy idea.

What about taking out 1/2 gal beer when racking to secondary, bring it up to 170, add the cocoa nibs and shredded coconut, let sit at 170 for say 15 minutes and then let cool and add it into the secondary with the rest of the beer? Might that work?

Is there a better way???

I think you could soak them in some alcohol like a rum or bourbon or even vodka that should kill most things I would think as well. I have seen people do that with wood chips on here

..Or crush 1 campden tablet per gallon water , soak your nibs in that for about 24 hours, then strain with sanitized tool of some sort and put them in your fermenting wort.

Agreed, those are good ideas, I was going to suggest just boiling the coconut and putting those nubs in a hot tub. A great and crazy sanitation idea that should meet your criteria. :D

Ha! Ya, I think boiling the nibs in a hot tub is what Foothills Brewing does w/ their Sexual Chocolate! Ever had that one? They are in NC.

Ha! Ya, I think boiling the nibs in a hot tub is what Foothills Brewing does w/ their Sexual Chocolate! Ever had that one? They are in NC.
I have never had the Sexual Chocolate but I did join the Winston Salem WortHawgs Brew Club and we meet at Foothills every month. I'll have it the next time its available. :ban:

Back