Crazy Ingredient Idea - Azuki Red Bean Paste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimpdx

Renaissance Man
Reaction score
So this weekend I am brewing an "Asian" themed/inspired Imperial Red Ale. Besides the obvious Sorachi Ace hop bill, I have been putting together ingredients which I think might add some really unique flavors, or at least sound good. I am really wanting to include some "Azuki Red Bean Paste" in the boil, as this is a common ingredient in Asian confections as they are sweet and nutty. You commonly find them boiled and mashed then sweetened with sugar. They are generally low in calories and fat with loads of potassium, magnesium, iron and other vitamins.

My only issue is whether a "Legume" would present any problems with clarity as a result of the high Fiber and Proteins. My hope is that it wouldn't and the base sweetness would not be fermentable and would carry through to the finished product. Anyone have thoughts on this wacky idea?

Unfortunately the sweetness from red bean paste comes from added honey or sugar, so that sweetness will ferment out. I'm not sure what it would do the clarity of the beer though, the proteins would probably be a bigger issue than the fibrous tissue, which would just sink to the bottom. A long cold crash would probably fix any clarity issues though.

add it after initial fermentation slows. Adding it to the boil will nullify what little flavor the actual bean may add. I'd probably add a lot too, if you want that flavor to come through.

Thanks folks. I did end up boiling it and indeed lost any "extra" flavors I was hoping for. Right now it is drinking like a red ale/green tea hybrid. Interesting flavor which I think might evolve over time. I will be racking this to a corny keg for conditioning rather than priming with sugar, although the extra sweetness could be a good thing for this beer. I'll post photos and tasting notes once it is carbonated!

I racked 4G to a corny keg for conditioning and soured the other half as it was showing signs of a pedio infection. I pitched Roselare blend and tucked it away for the winter. Also bought a nice plum wine to add before bottling or force carbonation.

Sounds like it worked out well, even if you didn't quite get the flavors you were hoping for. Good on you for experimenting, it's the most fun part of the hobby!

Cheers to that! (and great FZ quote). My first two sours are going to be named Peaches en Regalia and Camarillo Brillo :) I also used this beer to test my new/first corny keg setup last night. Poured a few sample glasses over the evening and it was tasting great! Very light body (I think I read this could be due to the protein rest, which I had never done before) but nice earthy nose. I picked up the green tea and plum wine notes.

2014-11-03 20.55.24.jpg

Back