Crazy Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alane1

Reaction score
Hi all, I brewed a strong pumpkin ale last night and pitched on a yeast cake(s-04) from a brown ale. When I woke up this morning it blew the lid off my bucket!!! It was fermenting at 74f, so I quickly cleaned up and put the bucket in a tub of cold water. A few hours later I got it down to 64f. Fermentation seems to have slowed down. My question is would the temps be warm enough to give it a hot fusel taste, or just more esters? My o.g. was 1.080.

74f ambient or actual wort-temperature? My guess is the first if it blew your lid off.

Ambient was 65f wort temp 74f

Which yeast strain? If it was nottingham, it'd be terrible. If it was S05, it would be a wee bit fruity, but not bad. It really is yeast strain dependent.

Edit- I see S04. I dislike S04 above about 66 degrees, so my vote is not great but others seem to think it's ok at 70 degrees. I have no idea what it's like at 74, as I used it a couple of times near 68 and found it unpleasant to drink but LOVE it at 62 degrees or less. It gets this weird fake ester flavor to it at higher temperatures that I find really terrible.

I'd lean more towards some early off-flavors than fusels then, especially since you took it quickly down again.

Just took my 1st sip and the problem with this batch isn't fusels or esters, it's over attenuated, it finished at 1.012. Very very boozy. I wouldn't say it's ruined, just not what I was going for. Next time I'm going to consult Mr. Malty. Thanks to all for your replies. Cheers

Back