Crazy fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamroller

Reaction score
My first batch was a octoberfest that had little foaming action during fermentation. My second batch (pale ale) went totally nuts and blew my 3 piece airlock apart. I was actually at a friends house when I got a call from my girlfriend to come home right away. There was beer all over the closet. The center piece of the airlock is cracked in numerous places. I have no backup airlock, so I had to scotch tape it. It seems to be working fine until the new one comes in the mail.

To get to the point of my question, is this common with fermentation? I've seen videos of great fermentation, but this situation is like wow! It was overflowing like a volcano for about 8 hours.

yep thats why some people suggest either using a blow off tube (a plastic tube to allow the krausen to blow somewhere other than your floor) or use a much larger bucket or carboy than the amount of beer they are making (ex. 6.5 or 7 gallon buckets or carboys for 5 gallon batches. i chose the latter because i didn't feel like messing with a blow off tube.

Back