Crazy fermentation on first all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvcjbl

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed my first all-grain batch. I brewed an imperial wit. I planned for 70% efficiency and ended up getting 74%. Not bad for my first time around with all brand new equipment. OG was 1060 so I made a starter for my WLP410. Chilled the wort to ferm temps (~70'f) and cold crashed the starter. I pitched the yeast last night around 7pm and when I came home my grandparents (who are here visiting) said when they went to bed around 10pm they heard it bubbling away. I transferred 5.5 gallons of wort to my primary 6 gallon carboy, but when I came home today I lost ~.5 gallons to blow off :mad:. Funny thing is with my son of a fermentation chamber I can usually keep the beer within 1'f of my dialed in temp. This beer went from 70'f to 77.7'f. I am hoping that I am not going to introduce a lot of esters for a few hours it has been at this temp. I dumped the blow off jug and cleaned it, and am now getting the beer back down to my desired 70'f ferm temps. Next to my imperial stout that blew 2+ gallons all over the carpet this is the most violent fermentation I have had to date. I am now worried that I am going to over shoot my FG. Ideas? input?

Just because your fermentation went nuts, doesn't mean that your FG will be lower than expected. There are too many other factors that would more likely impact whether or not your FG comes close to your expectations.

I wouldn't worry about it

Haputanlas said:
Just because your fermentation went nuts, doesn't mean that your FG will be lower than expected. There are too many other factors that would more likely impact whether or not your FG comes close to your expectations.

I wouldn't worry about it

Basis for concerning on overshooting fg was the fact I over built my starter. I decanted, but hope I didn't over pitch. I guess I also turned the temp control too low as the beer temp was 65'f this am. I bumped it up to be ~70'f.

Latest posts

Back