Crazy fast fermentation!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divadgagnon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

On monday I brewed my first all grain, which was only my second brew and everything went nicely. I have seen so many videos and read so many threads for the last year and a half, I felt like I had done this a 100 times, so thanks for all the great info on here! I brewed a modified version of edwort's haus pale ale and only a few hours after pitching I had vigourous fermentation going on. Now the thing is, only 48 hours in there is almost no activity, krausen dissapeared and airlock bubbles seems to be 4 or 5 seconds apart. I know it was suppose to ferment rather quickly, but I didn't expect it to slow down so much only two days in! Anyway I will still let sit there for the 10 - 14 days recommended of course, just wanted some thoughts is it weird or I just ask myself to many questions!?

Anyways thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated.

Airlock activity is not a direct indication of active fermentation, just the amount of co2 that is being pushed out. Many primary fermentations last for only 36 hours then stop producing a lot of co2 and the krauson drops out. Sounds like you had a good primary fermentation and now the yeast have moved on from producing all that co2 and a still working away. if you don't have a hydrometer, purchase one. that is the only way to know if your fermentation has stopped.

I pitched Nottingham at low 70's. I wasn't really worried since it was very obvious that I had good yeast activity just wanted to know if it was a thing thing to witness?

Nottingham in low 70's (fermenting in mid 70's) will ferment fast, like lots of ale yeasts. Might not ferment well, but fast. Others will tell you soon about the effects of fermenting Nottingham in the 70+ range.

Nottingham has a pretty big range. The lower you go (down to 55 or so) the cleaner the fermentation will be. If you pitched at, say, 72, but it was 70 degrees in your fermentation room, the yeast easily saw 75+ degrees while it was fermenting. And that can lead to lots of esters (Notty is a British yeast after all) and possibly some fusels. Pitching lower is one thing, maintaining the low temperature is another thing. So you pitched in the low 70s, but what's your ambient temperature? How are you controlling ferm temp?

So I should have pitched lower?

Yes.

60-65*F is what I'd shoot for and then ferment it in that range as well. Some folks have reported off flavors from Notty when it gets above 68*F (even though that's within the published limit of 70*).

I've run it as low as 55*F with plenty of visible, vigorous activity. I guess you could call it a "low temp ale yeast."

I don't control ferm temps, my setup is very rudimentary since I only have limited space and budget (student in an appt.). I'll check what's the temp in the fermentation closet when I get home.

Back