Crazy fast fermentation - do I continue with SNA / degassing / aerating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I started a black cherry / pomegranate cyser on the night of January 22 and then aerated 3x a day on the 23rd, 24th and aerated 2x so far today, the 25th.

The OG was 1.080 on the 22nd (added 3/4 tsp of yeast nutrient/energizer/DAP combo at pitch)
The SG on the 24th at feeding time was 1.065 (feeding was another 3/4 tsp of yeast nutrient/energizer/DAP)
The SG today, the 25th, is already 1.034 (just past the 2/3 sugar break)

Based on the SG numbers, the 1/3 sugar break was 1.054 (which is already long passed) and the 2/3 sugar break was 1.035.

Is there any reason to add another nutrient dose? Also, do I continue with the aerating / degassing for the next few days or do I let it sit now that it's reached the 2/3 sugar break?

This is the fastest fermentation I've seen with a mead/cyser. The last traditional mead I did it took a week to reach the 1/3 break and ten days to reach the 2/3 break.

Other misc info
* Yeast = Nottingham
* 1.25 gallons apple cider
* 1 quart 'just black cherry' juice
* 1 quart 'pomegranate' juice

I put water in the airlock when SG hits 1.03 and stop aerating. Had a prune juice mead ferment last week from 1.09ish to 1.03ish in 2 days.

No yeast energizer/nutrient!!!

You shouldn't have used them to begin with!!!!

Yeast nutrition is not at all necessary when using cider or juices. The fruits have PLENTY of nitrogen and the other nutrients that honey lacks. What MAY happen, depending on how fast and furious the ferment is, is that you'll get a hot final product with very little nuance.

I'd say your best chance at slowing fermentation down is put it somewhere that is a little colder (but not super cold). Or, if you're desperate, put it somewhere to cold crash it, and rack it. (try the first idea first).

Hopefully the drop in temp will slow the beasties down. If not, the cold crash might disrupt them and removing the sediment will remove some of the yeast and some of the solids that are energizing them so much.

I don't agree. While you didn't "need" the nutrient maybe, it didn't hurt it.

A 1.080 OG is low, and when I make wine I'll get to 1.010-.990 in 5 days with that OG.

It just is finishing up, in a normal amount of time. You didn't harm it, but unless it stalls now you're good. You can stir if you want, until you get to about 1.020 or less, to degas. That will encourage good yeast health. Otherwise, it sounds fine.

I just tested the gravity today (January 29) and it's at 1.007 which seems pretty reasonable and not in stall teritory. I'll check it in another week and see where it ends up. I honestly wouldn't mind if it maxed out somewhere around this SG to keep a little residual sweetness. This is my first attempt with this yeast so we'll see.

Back