Crazy attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
Was hoping to brew a blonde last week using wlp575 for the first time shooting for around 1.065 OG ended up at 1.070 cant tell if my brewing partner made an error measuring the grains or my new false bottom is getting insane efficiency. Anyway this yeast is nuts I underpitched and ended up at 1.004 after 7 days. So I guess I made a triple instead of a blonde. I mashed at 148 and used 15% simple sugar the rest was pilsner. The sample taste amazing cant wait, atleast it will be nice and dry

IMG_5178.jpg

Wow...95% attenuation. Is it possible that the paper inside the hydrometer came loose and dropped a few mm? I've heard of this happening.

That aside...if it tastes great, awesome!

Congratulations on mashing low and getting a nice, dry beer from your grains. You'll find this is a characteristic of mashes using a large amount of highly diastatic grain and low to mid-range mash temps.
It's a valuable method to learn and is a great way to get great results for certain lighter styles of beer like Pilsner, blondes, and cream ales. Your version might be more of a strong golden ale, though .... tripels can pack an ABV beyond 7%.
IMO, You did a pretty good job and have a pretty good technique to apply later. I've had finished lower gravity ales come in at around 1.004 after carbing. With the right yeasts like WLP029 and WLP001, the hops can shine in a nice, dry beer.

Enjoy!
https://learn.kegerator.com/belgian-strong-golden-ale/

Last edited:
Back