Crawfish Etouffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
2013-05-01171232_zps0605559e.jpg

I don’t really use measurements so bear with me.

The most important part of the dish is the stock. If you don’t have any stock from a leftover seafood boil. The Roux is a close 2nd in importance. I prefer Crisco.

Key ingredients:
- brown roux (equal parts flour to oil, usually cup of each for a nice size pot)
- Onion (1 medium or large chopped)
- Bell pepper (2 medium peppers, red and green chopped)
- Celery (2 stalks diced finely)
- Fresh minced garlic (maybe 2 tablespoons)
- Diced tomatoes in tomato juice (large can, also good to add some fresh ones)
- Bay leaf
- Cajun seasoning
- Seafood stock (This is the most important part for authentic taste)

First step is starting your roux. Heat a heavy bottomed pan at medium heat and adjust as needed. Continually stir until a brown roux is achieved. Don’t let it get too dark. Next add all your veggies and cook them down. (A tip to speed the whole process up is to have your onions, celery, garlic, and bell peeper sautéed in a separate pan ahead of time.) I usually add the tomatoes after the rest had become translucent.

Next add your stock. For shrimp creole use shrimp stock and for crawfish use crawfish stock. When using crawfish I would recommend taking a lot of that fat out the heads to add to the dish. That will make more like an etouffee . Add as much stock as needed to get to the consistency you want. I always make mine a little watery at first because I cook it down a lot to the thickness I prefer. Also add the bay leaf at this time.

Next step is to add Cajun seasoning to taste. You may want to add other spices but my stock is always full of spices which limit my need to add more. Now it’s time to let it cook down. For shrimp I usually add the shrimp about 30 minutes before its ready. You can get away with putting the crawfish in earlier since they are already cooked anyway.

Serve over rice with French bread and butter.

This dish taste even better the next day after all the seasonings combine. You may want to add some granulated onion and garlic if you find it is lacking in something.

2013-05-01130345_zpsc8418b28.jpg

2013-05-01134636_zpsf9d67a4e.jpg

Once my father made shrimp etoffee I was hooked on it. I normally use green onions, but this sounds good. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the recipe! Prolly be shrimp next since they're starting to come in slowly. Those mudbug heads are great though! Cayenne and paprika, hold the ol bay.

Be sure to make a stock with your shrimp peels/tails and heads(if you have the heads).

BamaProud said:
Be sure to make a stock with your shrimp peels/tails and heads(if you have the heads).

Oh yea! I throw for em or get em off the boat. I only learned to boil the peels a couple of years ago. How many wasted broths, I do the same with my fish heads, now.

Great advice!

Great tips, stock and roux is the key to many great LA dishes. Looks fantastic. I'm thinking a roasty beer in the stock might be good, too.

"Running in high-tail reverse, the momma crawfish told the lil crawfish, "Now you see dat dere is a cajun, and dey eat anything!"

I started homebrewing in Fall 2009 when a random recipe run through over 700 cookbooks came up with Continental Light Lager in Patrick Baker's "The New Brewers Handbook." Now at 899 cookbooks, this week the random recipe was "Eggplant Appetizer a la Justin" from the "The Justin Wilson Cook Book." Red roux with the trinity, worchestershire, hot sause and beaucoupdle romano. Good hot and cold, I gorontee.

justinwilsoncb_spiral_grande.jpg

I little off topic, but are does anyone have any specific suggestions for cajun spices - either commercial or homemade? I'm not so sure that we have a great choice of cajun spices in the Pacific Northwest and would love some help!

dog_gone said:
I little off topic, but are does anyone have any specific suggestions for cajun spices - either commercial or homemade? I'm not so sure that we have a great choice of cajun spices in the Pacific Northwest and would love some help!
If it's alright withBama! lol, Tony satchetories can be almost everywhere, otherwise paprika, cayenne, a small amount of ground black pepper. A little chili powder. optional onion and garlic powder to taste.

Tony's is good. I use it sometimes.

Good Basic mix is:
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme

BamaProud said:
Tony's is good. I use it sometimes.

Good Basic mix is:
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme

LOVE IT, I should've figured from your recipe you would add measurements! I love tyme, I just can't seem to keep it around. I can't wait to try the etoufee! I saw crawfish in the grocery store yesterday.

Back