Crash Keg Before CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
They say to crash a keg prior to putting it on CO2 because the CO2 goes into the beer easier at cooler temperatures. My question, why not just put it on CO2 when you put it in the keezer? Its going to get cold anyways and whatever CO2 gets in there while its warm the better? Seems like pre-heating the oven for leftover pizza, pointless. Just turn the oven on and put the pizza in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, you can put the beer on CO2 on at the same time you start cooling it.

I think all "they" meant is that the beer needs to be cold before the beer will start absorbing C02 effectively.

I started off just putting it on CO2, then a couple months ago switched to crashing first after watching a few kegging videos on youtube. Alot of the guys crashed. I am now questioning it. Just seems like a thing people are told to do with a quick explanation and it gets passed on as what you do. When i switched over I suspected the CO2 might be somehow wasted if I do it when its warm, and this is also a way to not waste your CO2. Needless to say I may be switching back.

Put it on 1psi and never worry about oxidation during cold crashing again.

Or just carb pressure. That makes sense too. I should read more carefully.

I started off just putting it on CO2, then a couple months ago switched to crashing first after watching a few kegging videos on youtube. Alot of the guys crashed. I am now questioning it. Just seems like a thing people are told to do with a quick explanation and it gets passed on as what you do. When i switched over I suspected the CO2 might be somehow wasted if I do it when its warm, and this is also a way to not waste your CO2. Needless to say I may be switching back.

No, you will not be wasting CO2. The beer just can't absorb as much CO2 (at a given pressure setting) at warmer temperatures as it can at colder temperatures.

Personally, I cold crash in the primary before I keg/put on gas, but that's just so that the beer is clear before it goes in the keg and keeps sediment out. But that has nothing to do with CO2 usage. Either method is perfectly valid.

+1 Hunter
I cold crash everything before kegging . I don't secondary very often, unless I am dry hopping and want to harvest yeast or really need the fermenter. Cold crashing really clears your beer and as a result you send less crap to your keg. The other bonus come if you are a "burst carber" as you will be drinking your beer in a few days!
Cheers,
Jim

I will try cold crashing now, thanks. speaking of burst carbonating, everytime ive tried this the beer goes up the co2 line and i end up with pressure creep until i completely disassemble and clean my regulator.

I will try cold crashing now, thanks. speaking of burst carbonating, everytime ive tried this the beer goes up the co2 line and i end up with pressure creep until i completely disassemble and clean my regulator.

Buy a check valve! They're cheap, easy to install, and you won't have to worry about beer getting into your regulator in the future.

Nice, I will do that. Thanks

Back