Crash Cooling timing and techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwhill

Reaction score
I use my keezer to maintain a steady temp for fermentation. After the beer has reached final gravity is it safe to start the crash cool process? Then remove the fermenter from the keezer and just let the beer sit on the yeast cake for a few weeks? When I say remove it from the keezer that means I'll be putting it on the floor in the basement where the temp is usually around 65-68.
What do others do?
Thanks in advance for any input. :mug:

For ales I keg it after 14 days in the primary. I condition at 65F for another week and then put it in the serving fridge (Kegged) at 36F to carb for 1 week.

For lagers I ferment 14 days in the primary at 50F to 55F then raise the temp to 65F for 2 days and then lager (Kegged) at 36F in my serving fridge for 3 weeks to 2 months or longer depending on the type of lager. I always purge with CO2.

For ales I keg it after 14 days in the primary. I condition at 65F for another week and then put it in the serving fridge (Kegged) at 36F to carb for 1 week.

For lagers I ferment 14 days in the primary at 50F to 55F then raise the temp to 65F for 2 days and then lager (Kegged) at 36F in my serving fridge for 3 weeks to 2 months or longer depending on the type of lager. I always purge with CO2.
Thanks for the input WBC. I should have added that I'm not kegging yet. :( I still bottle. So my normal routine is leave it in primary for 4 weeks and then bottle. Now that I have a keezer I'm trying to figure out a routine that works best for the beer and me.

You can bottle any time after conditioning an ale.

Lagers can be conditioned in the primary although it is best to use a secondary vessel when lagering. Don't forget to do a diacetyl rest in the primary if a buttery taste exists after the primary fermentation (48 hrs at 65F). You could also bottle your lager and age it in the bottles.

Back