Crash Cooling Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingpl

Reaction score
I got some kegging equipment, and I am going to try my hand at kegging on the next brew. I am reading about "Crash Cooling" - I don't have a fridge to put my carboy into before I keg (that is what you're supposed to do, right?). How can you crash cool the beer? I like the idea of making the beer more clear. Thanks.

I like to get mine down to 35* for 4 days before kegging. I do this by puting it in my Kezzer but right now I don't have any room. It's full of kegs so I will place it in the garage for a few days. That will be good enough.

Ok, yeah 35 degrees is really cold, and I live in San Diego, so the garage won't get it there, lol. I am converting a sanyo fridge into a kegerator, so once I get the kegs up and running, I won't be able to put anything else in there. Hmmmm, is crash cooling really good? Maybe I'll have to do without it?

surfingpl said:
Ok, yeah 35 degrees is really cold, and I live in San Diego, so the garage won't get it there, lol. I am converting a sanyo fridge into a kegerator, so once I get the kegs up and running, I won't be able to put anything else in there. Hmmmm, is crash cooling really good? Maybe I'll have to do without it?
cold? at 35* I'll do a 10 mile run in shorts and a tank top.

Hell it's been in the teens and single digets around here for the last 6 weeks. :D

I put two carboys in the garage tonight and the temp was 40* inside and 27* outside. They are saing low 20's to high teens tonight so that should drop it down nice.

I use IM in my brews (that I want clear) but one time I forgot it. That's when I tried the crash cool for a few days and that beer turned out clearer then the brews I had done with the IM and no crash. So now I do both. :rockin:
They are so clear I can read a book thru them.

10 mile run? You're an animal! I guess the cold weather does have some benefits - like turning your garage into a fridge.

surfingpl said:
10 mile run? You're an animal! I guess the cold weather does have some benefits - like turning your garage into a fridge.
10 is nothing, the 24 miler I have to do in a few weeks is going to suck.:mad:

I really like the cold, I hate the snow but I like the cold.

Back