Crash Cool Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
Quick Q:

Say I rack my pale to a corny. I wan to to crash cool in the keg. Do I cool it and then carb? Or can I cool it and gas it at the same time?

Thanks!

if its already in the keg, you can crash and carb at the same time. Just beware that the first couple of pints you pull are going to have some sediment in them. After that you should pull some clean and clear pints;)

Yep! You can carb as you are cooling. The beer will absorb C02 better when it is cold but it will absorb some while it is cooling as well.

There is an off chance that if you crash cool and begin to carb at exactly the wrong second, it will, in fact, open the 13th gate of Hell.

Short of that though, you should be fine.

*Sorry! The homebrew seems to have drawn out the inner smart ass in me!! father forgive me!;)

All good... my man.

The reason I asked is that I have a keezer now and I am experimenting with going from primary to corny instead of the secondary.
When I have crash cooler prior I would move the secondary to my fridge and let it do its thing and then keg and carb.

all good here.
I love having a Keezer... it rocks.

T

Primary to corny all the way right here!:rockin: I dont even crash cool until I am ready to serve, and I guess that wouldn't be crash cooling but more dropping to serving temperature.... hummmm.....

I give mine an extra long stay (to some) in my fermenter for ~3-4 weeks or till I start to see some clearing. Then I rack to a corny, purge the head space, set it in the corner and forget about it for a month or more. Next time I have a tap go dry, I just kick it into the kegerator and let it chill and carb for a week or so, pull the first two pints of sediment off, then run crystal clear beer!:D

I give mine an extra long stay (to some) in my fermenter for ~3-4 weeks or till I start to see some clearing. Then I rack to a corny, purge the head space, set it in the corner and forget about it for a month or more.

When you "throw" it in the corner for a month, what temp is it at??

Back