Crappy Efficiency with Wheat in Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottSingleton

Reaction score
Since I got my own mill about a year ago I've probably done about 10-15 5 gallon batches of various beers. Each time using the measured volumes/gravity inside of BeerSmith to show my my Measured Efficiency.

I Typically Batch Sparge with the the sparge water set at 170, using this as my mash out. Sometimes I fly sparge. I notice about a 5% increase in eff. when I take the time to fly sparge properly (over 45-60 minutes). My Average efficiency is anywhere from 75%-80%.

Today was my first batch batching using about 40% malted white wheat. It was a decoction mash, where I did a 10 minute rest at 133 decocted 2 gallons which raised the mash to 155 where it sat for an additional 55 minutes. When the decoction was added back into the mash I also added 1# of rice hulls to keep the grain bed a bit loose.

My measured efficiency with BeerSmith was a whopping 60%. I missed my target Pre-Boil gravity by .008 and added 30 Minutes on the front side of the boil (sans hops) to thicken it up a touch. Ended up getting back about .004 with the added boil off.

Do you guys think this was a one time thing on my part? I missed something -- missed a temp, etc?

Or with the wheat should I have done a finer grind?

I'm looking to try and identify what caused my lower efficiency here so I can try and eliminate it next time. Any ideas on this?

I have to narrow may gap andmill wheat seperately. Just did a wit Saturday and narrowed gap for the wheat to. 024 and hit normal eff This time.

Thinking about a wheat here soon, not to thread jack but should I have the hbs run my wheat thru twice?

I mill my own grain and when I do my double decoction hefe's I always get 79% efficiency, just did one again this past weekend. 79% efficiency is what I've been getting consistently with my other non-wheat batches with this mill but the odd thing is when I don't double decoct and make a wheat based beer using hot water infusions my efficiency is all over the place. My last hefe with hot water infusions came it at 70% efficiency. I was having somewhat lower efficiency with my Belgian Wit's too at 73% but got that up to 78% by doing a protein rest which helped since using flaked wheat/oats benefits from it.

Anyhow, I too wonder what the deal is with wheat. I have read that wheat can often take longer to convert and often benefits from a 90 minute sacch rest though I haven't tried it yet, I plan to with my next infusion hefe. I would just decoct them all if I could but I get complaints from the family members upstairs about the smell, so it's rare when I can do a decoction. It could of course also be your crush. My whole reason for getting my own mill was because of Northern Brewer's wheat crush - got 56% efficiency on my first AG hefe. Been way better since.

Rev.

The grains of wheat are smaller than barley and harder too so you need to set the mill gap smaller to adequately crush them.

I just did my first 50% wheat batch and got 75% with batch sparging. I crushed it twice at .026, conditioned my 2-row prior to crush. For the decoction I kept it at 122 degrees for 30 minutes and then raised it to 154 for an additional 60 minutes.

Back