crappy day of homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bperlmu

Reaction score
well it was bound to happen eventually....
so i smashed my 6.5 gallon carboy this morning while i was wasthing it, glass everywhere, and no primary fermenter for the batch that is already on hte stove. Looking back, i should of rushed out to the LHBS and gotten another one, but i just figured i would use oneof my 5 gallon secondarys. I found out that pouring a 5 gallon batch into a 5 gallon carboy is a huge PITA and extremely messy and frustrating.... and then....Theres no room for the starter!!!

so just filling the carboy took forever beceause i had to keep adding the water in little bits at a time just to keep beer from spilling everywhere... but now its tucked away with a blow off hose waiting for the action to start.

Ive been lucky so far and in the year or so that ive been brewing, most of my batches have all gone pretty smoothly, so i guess its just my turn for a frustrating brew day....

Does anyone out there have any experience with fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy? I assume it will work just the same, but ive never done it before. do you lose a lot of wort out of the top?

ahhhh, nothing like a good rant. now to the beer basement.

You will lose some brew but at least your OK and the carboy wasn't full when you broke it.

Another experience in your journey of homebrewing.:)

You'll be ok. I used to use 5 gallon carboys and a blowoff tube. You will probably loose a bit-o-goodness, but it is better than losing 5 gallons.

You might also consider making a Buron Union system per Brew Your Own magazine. I have made one (but not used it) for those times when my 3 buckets and 6.5g carboy are in use and a 5g carboy is the only fermenter I have.

Back