CRAP! too many campden tabs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed that my campden tabs are 150 ppm. Apparently that may be 3 times the "normal" tabs? I'm making a melomel and it calls for 3 campden tabs for a 6.5 gallon batch 24 hrs prior to pitching the yeast. I used 3 tabs but then looked at the label and it says "use 1/3 tablet (50 ppm) when the recipe calls for 1." Did I just put 9 tablets in my mead? If I did, I'm sure that's not going to taste good. Is there anything to be done? Between the 18 lbs of honey and 17 lbs of fruit, I've got like $90 invested into this.

Oops😜, it happens, the only thing I know that will remove the extra sulfites is a food grade hydrogen peroxide.

Instead of adding the yeast in 24 hours, stir the must several times a day, hard, and then add the yeast in 48 hours instead. The s02 will dissipate fairly quickly with stirring.

You're giving me hope Yooper. I ruined my first batch of Mead by not taking care of my yeast. The only other batch I've had to dump was a fruit beer that became infected. So I did my studying on SNA, proper pitching rate, degassing, etc. Now, 3 yrs later, I've manage to blow it again. I will take your advise and stir the hell out of it with my lees stirrer. Is it that simple? Is that just my best option or will that definitely work? I'm guessing I should leave my sanitized cloth and not replace with an airlock? I'd rather have to age it longer than get an infection.

You're giving me hope Yooper. I ruined my first batch of Mead by not taking care of my yeast. The only other batch I've had to dump was a fruit beer that became infected. So I did my studying on SNA, proper pitching rate, degassing, etc. Now, 3 yrs later, I've manage to blow it again. I will take your advise and stir the hell out of it with my lees stirrer. Is it that simple? Is that just my best option or will that definitely work? I'm guessing I should leave my sanitized cloth and not replace with an airlock? I'd rather have to age it longer than get an infection.

Yep, don't airlock it and stir the hell out of it several times a day for the next two days. Then if you smell NO s02 at all, it might be just fine to add the yeast.

I'd recommend doing a yeast starter now with your yeast, to ensure enough growth to overcome the sulfites.

Excellent. Don't mean to hound you but I know you know your stuff (as you have helped me in the past)......I've got to add the yeast either late Sunday or Monday night (work sucks). So, I'll take the lees stirrer to it 3 or 4 times a day tomorrow and Sunday. I'm using K1-V1116 for this and was debating whether I should pitch 5 g or 10 g with some Go Ferm per the directions. Will 10 grams suffice or should I really make a starter at this point? If so, can you recommend my best bet for a starter? I've got a stirplate and I'm used to making starters for my beers but I'm guessing it may be a different method for a mead/melomel starter? One last thing, I'm not sure what you mean by "if I smell NO s02 it might be fine to add the yeast." Again, sorry to be a troll but although I'm quite confident with my beers, I may have jumped the gun a bit on my second attempt at a mead. Either way, you are my hero. Thanks.

Excellent. Don't mean to hound you but I know you know your stuff (as you have helped me in the past)......I've got to add the yeast either late Sunday or Monday night (work sucks). So, I'll take the lees stirrer to it 3 or 4 times a day tomorrow and Sunday. I'm using K1-V1116 for this and was debating whether I should pitch 5 g or 10 g with some Go Ferm per the directions. Will 10 grams suffice or should I really make a starter at this point? If so, can you recommend my best bet for a starter? I've got a stirplate and I'm used to making starters for my beers but I'm guessing it may be a different method for a mead/melomel starter? One last thing, I'm not sure what you mean by "if I smell NO s02 it might be fine to add the yeast." Again, sorry to be a troll but although I'm quite confident with my beers, I may have jumped the gun a bit on my second attempt at a mead. Either way, you are my hero. Thanks.

I'd make a starter, even some sugar and water ( a lower OG mix) would be better than nothing. Or some honey and water, in a lower OG mix.

If you smell sulfur, I'd hold off on adding the yeast until you don't. That's all I meant.

Is it strange that I've not smelled any sulphur and I've stirred 5 times today? Guess I'll have to just pitch tomorrow night and hope for the best.

I'm using K1-V1116 for this and was debating whether I should pitch 5 g or 10 g with some Go Ferm per the directions. Will 10 grams suffice or should I really make a starter at this point? If so, can you recommend my best bet for a starter? I've got a stirplate and I'm used to making starters for my beers but I'm guessing it may be a different method for a mead/melomel starter? One last thing, I'm not sure what you mean by "if I smell NO s02 it might be fine to add the yeast." Again, sorry to be a troll but although I'm quite confident with my beers, I may have jumped the gun a bit on my second attempt at a mead. Either way, you are my hero. Thanks.

Starter. 10g yeast, 13g Go-Ferm, rehydrate in 100mL H2O at 104 for 15 - 30 mins, add to 200 mL H2O, shake the heck out of it and wait another 15 -30. Add 300 mL must, shake the heck out of it, wait 12 hours. Add 400 mL must, shake the heck out of it, wait 12 hours, pitch 1L starter into ferm bucket. Honestly, shake the hell out of your starter every time you pass by. If you have a stirplate, even better, just don't airlock your starter flask.

This is the formula I use every time and have yet to have any issues getting a fermentation going or going again (as my most recent case dealing with osmotic shock.)

Back