Crap, no Chinook...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Went and grabbed ingredients from my LHBS for an Arrogant Bastard clone based on tweaks from Tasty's 3rd rebrew. Had the grain milled, grabbed the yeast, went to the hops fridge and no Chinook. Arrogant Bastard is 100% Chinook. OK, no problem, I'll just go to the other store a mile away. Nope, no Chinook either. OK, no problem, I'll drive 30 minutes to one of the other two stores. Nope, they're closed on Sundays. Already made my yeast starter so something has to be brewed. I grabbed CTZ and Nugget. Going to blend them and add the mixture instead of Chinook. Maybe it'll end up even better...

Not to rub it in, but I've got a pound of Chinook in the freezer...soooo...can you post the recipe?

Yep I've got a halfer of Chinook I haven't even opened... you should just start buying your hops online in bulk from Freshhops or other site. Its WAY cheaper, and you'll always know what you've got.

haha, I hate you guys... :p

I don't have enough room in the freezer to store a lot of hops.

Here's the recipe:

arrogantwookiev2.jpg

Well, junk... Got some of my grains mixed up.

I had the grains in the recipe mixed together and split between 2 bags. I also had another bag that was 10lb of only 2-Row. My roomie used one of the mixed bags instead of the 10lb 2-Row for an ethanol project (He's an alternative fuels professor). So I ended up with way more 2-Row than I wanted and less specialty grains.

Actually turned out OK that I got the CTZ and Nugget instead of Chinook. Adjusted the recipe to be an IIPA instead. I guess Arrogant Bastard just wasn't meant to be today.

Well how about that. This accident actually turned out to be a damn fine IIPA. I estimate that I ended up with 21LB 2-Row, 1LB Special B and maybe 4oz Crystal 150L. I was heavy handed on the late hops and dry hopped with some Chinook I finally got a hold of. Color is a little darker than an IIPA should be, but it's really good. WLP007 attenuates much higher than stated. I'm calling this Wookie Mistake and will definitely be brewing it again.

wookiemistake.jpg

Latest posts

Back