"Crap from Krausen" still floating in little flakes. Will gelatin clear it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
You know how like the day after you pitch you get a nice creamy, snow white cap of krausen, but the next day it starts churning up stuff that looks like flecks of poop directly in the center and then it pretty much takes over? Well on my Bass clone after the Krausen fell back in little flakes, about the size of snow flakes, of the light crap colored stuff remain floating on top of my beer. I have had white yeast clumps before, but nothing like this. Can I use anything like gelatin to make them settle to the bottom? How do you use the stuff anyway?

For the record I was using Windsor yeast as my first experiment with dry yeast.

I just ignore it and everything else for a month. It doesn't harm the beer, and when I am racking into my bottling bucket, anything that floats down on the surface gets stuck in the trub and stays behind with the stuff from under the beer. It really is no big deal. The surface of a beer, whether it is primary or secondary is rarely ever clear.

It's a matter of perspective I guess. It may be ugly, but then fermentation and the vestige IS ugly. But my beers not.

Strong with the brewing force you are Revvy...errrhhrrrhrrrr (I know...sad yoda impression)

Revvy is right...give it time to rest, and it should clear up. If you're impatient, the guys at my local brew shop recommended a thing called 'poly clear' over gelatin. You can also toss in a whirfloc tablet during your initial boil for future batches...

Back