Crap, didn't do a Vorlauf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
So I just started my first all-grain last weekend, and while reading this site I just realized I forgot to do the Vorlauf. The beer looks pretty clear in the fermenter right now (lager at 45F).

What could happen? more tannin flavors due to some grain material in the boil?

I have done the same thing and my beer has come out OK...

Commercial Brewers have issues because they are using HUGE amounts fo grain but you are not.

It will really depend on the grain, amount, time boiled... and so many other things.

Good Luck...

I have done the same and had no off effects. Unless you get ALOT of grain matter in the boil, you really have no need to worry about tannins. The extraction of tannins is actually normal, you just don't want too much that it overpowers your beer in anyway. You're fine.... Relax

Thanks guys. I tasted the wort and it tasted nice and sweet, plus the break material separated nicely. I just realized missing the vorlauf as this was my first all grain try (learned some very important lessons; I need a bigger brew kettle).

Another brewer here that has made the same error. It'll end up in the bottom of your boil kettle or the bottom of the fermentor if it makes it past the kettle. No worries.

Agreed - no biggie all the extra sediment will settle. You may lose about a bottles worth to the extra trub when transferring.

You probably only get about 2 tablespoons at the very most of grain particles if you don't vorlauf. Every once in a while I skip the vorlauf just because I don't feel like doing it. No worries.

Thanks guys. I used my mashtun to filter out the hops after the boil, so hopefully that removed most of it anyways. Plus with a 4 week secondary at 40F I think most things should drop out, I was more worried about flavor.

Back