Cranberry Sour - Does this classify as a Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does this recipe classify as a Berliner Weisse?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Posting this here because I've done it twice now and my wife and I love it. I do have one question for the experts though: Does this classify as a berliner weisse?

Recipe Type:
All Grain
Souring Agent: Omega OYL-605 Lacto
Kettle Soured 36 hours to pH 3.3-3.4
Yeast: Safale US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5 Gallons
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV: 6.08%
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60 Minutes
IBU: 7.31
Color: 4.22 (pre-cranberries)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10-12 days @ 64-->68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7-10 days @ 64-->68 on top of 6lbs of mashed cranberries

GRAIN BILL:
% and the actual amt. I use for 5.5 gallons @ 75% mash efficiency
60% White Wheat (6.06 lbs)
40% Pilsner (4.49 lbs)

60 minute mash @ 150*F

KETTLE SOURING:
After completing mash, chill wort to 95*F, pre-acidify the wort to 4.0-4.4 using 3 tsp of lactic acid, and pitch OYL-605 Lacto. Allow to sour for 36 hours to a pH of 3.3-3.4 (or desired level of sourness).
**Omega has told me this is unnecessary but I keep the kettle on top of the stove, cover the top and the sides of the kettle with tin foil to try and hold heat as much as possible. I have a thermometer stuck through the top to monitor temp. If it hits 70*F, I turn the stove on and gently heat it back up to the 80-85*F mark.

HOPS:
**60 Min. = .50oz Hersbrucker
**Chill to 65*F and transfer wort to fermenter.

WATER PROFILE:
I use 100% distilled water in both mash and sparge water:

Using B'run Water
Ca = 92
Mg = 0
Na = 0
Sulfate = 147
Chloride = 53
Bicarbonate = 0

FERMENTATION
Yeast - Safale US-05, or something with a nice, clean finish. However, after performing this one twice now, I think something with some fruity esters that compliment the tart/sourness of this would be beneficial.

OTHER THOUGHTS/NOTES:
My wife and I wanted to make this for Thanksgiving. She usually likes cranberry wines on Thanksgiving, but since we're brewing, we wanted a cranberry sour. This is very sour and refreshing at the same time. Head retention is pretty good for a sour, I think due to the pre-acidifying step. Color is a nice, deep red hue after secondary on the cranberries. This is definitely one that we'll keep in a rotation year round.

Pictures below are for visual reference of what the finished product looks like.
pre transfer.jpg

post transfer.jpg
pre keg.jpg
finished.jpg
with pie.jpg

PS - The reason I'm wondering what it classifies as is because I'm entering in a homebrew competition that one of the breweries that we frequent is hosting. Just want to know what to call it.

The OG of Berliner Weiss is 1.028 – 1.032, so I would say even without the cranberries, you didn't make a Berliner. According to Gordon Strong, a fruited Berliner is 29A Fruit Beer with Berliner Weiss as the base style. I would call it a 28B. Mixed -Fermentation Sour Beer.

If it has a lighter body or sourness I would put it in as a berliner. If not I would go for mixed fermentation sour. It does not matter what the recipe was, it only matters how it tastes(for competition).

Not that i could perceive. The initial taste is the lacto sourness. On the back end of the sip, the sourness dissipates and you're left with the cranberry flavor. I did not detect any harsh tannic flavors at all

I finally got around to making this. The og is right where yours is. The only change that I made was using house Imperial yeast, which is basically a more active version of the same yeast that you used.

Since I brewed 15 gallons of it, I will be splitting the batches. One on top of tart cherries, one on top of blackberries, and one on top of nectarines. Should be good, I'm excited!

I finally got around to making this. The og is right where yours is. The only change that I made was using house Imperial yeast, which is basically a more active version of the same yeast that you used.

Since I brewed 15 gallons of it, I will be splitting the batches. One on top of tart cherries, one on top of blackberries, and one on top of nectarines. Should be good, I'm excited!

That's awesome! I would love to hear how the one with blackberries comes out and would love to see a pic of it when it's done. If you don't mind, could you follow up here when they're done? I want to do a blackberry one as well.

I also thought about adding cherries to the cranberry one. So instead of sitting on top of just cranberries, do sweet cherries as well to add a bit of sweetness to it. My wife didnt like that idea so I didn't do it on the last one but I thought it sounded good.

How did it do in the comp and what style did you enter it as?

It went ok. This one didn't do as well as the NEIPA I entered, which used Vic Secret, Citra, and Mosaic. The NEIPA got 3rd out of 19 entries and this one was a bit lower. I entered it as a mixed fermentation sour.

The black berry turned out fantastic.

I started this project again on Saturday, and it has had lactobacillus in it now for about 45 hours. My pH however is still above 4.4. If I boil this tonight do you think it will still be sour? I did not Pitch any lactic acid and may do so next time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_181506_01.jpg
    IMG_20180402_181506_01.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 61
The black berry turned out fantastic.

I started this project again on Saturday, and it has had lactobacillus in it now for about 45 hours. My pH however is still above 4.4. If I boil this tonight do you think it will still be sour? I did not Pitch any lactic acid and may do so next time.

That's awesome man. Glad it came out well. I just tweaked this recipe by changing the grain bill to something a bit more clear and will be adding cranberries and nectarines to it. I'll let you know how that goes.

As far as sour, at a pH of 4.4, that's not very sour at all. You may notice a slight tartness but it won't be sour. Can you let it go another day or so and see where it ends up?

**Just saw you posted yesterday.... Did you boil it?

Back