Cranberry Chocolate Stout - Extract 5 gal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FalmouthBrewmeister

Reaction score
5 Gallon Batch "South Shore Stout"

FULL BOIL is BEST if you can make it - 3 Gallon boil will suffice

grains:
1# Simpsons Roasted Barley
1# Chocolate Malt
extracts:
6# Golden LME (May sub 'Light LME' - unsure on flavor change though)
hops:
2 oz. Cluster pellets (60 min) (May sub 'Cascade' or even try 'Delta')
yeast:
2 Packets Safale S-04 Ale Yeast (starter unnecessary)
extras:
2# Craisins (or other dried cranberry w/o oils, etc.)
10 oz. Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa, Premium Baking Cocoa
Irish Moss (optional - I didn't use)
1 Bottle - Your Favorite Homebrew! :mug: (To pass the time!)

NOTE: If P/M then 1/2 the grain bill

og: 1.060-1.070

Steps:
prestep. Pour a beer!
1. Place grains in a muslin bag and place in cold water in kettle.
2. Heat to 170°F while stirring then pull grain bag.
3. Set aside to drain any "juice" to reintroduce to kettle anytime during boil.
4. Bring to a boil then add LME (off the heat to avoid scorching)
5. Return to heat and bring back to a boil.
6. When boil begins, add hops to kettle.
7. At 30 min., add Craisins.
8. Boil until Craisins release their sugars. (You will know when the sugars cause you to nearly boil over!)
9. At 50-55 min., Irish Moss (if using)
10. At 60 min., Flame-out and strain to remove cranberries and hops. DO NOT CHILL YET!
11. Stir in the chocolate while Hot.
12. Chill to under 100*°F and pitch 2 Packets S-04 Yeast.

Bottling Day:
1. Wash, Rinse, Sanitize and Dry 48 Bottles.
2. Bottle.
3. Age 2-6 months (try every other week until perfect!)

Are the two packets of S04 and the Irish Moss necessary? I just did a 1.070 stout and pitched one packet of S04 and it attenuated just fine. Recipe does look tasty though.

No "need" for 2 packets or moss.

I don't use "The Moss" very often, and did not use it in this case.

Most recipes say to use it with 15 minutes left, but I have read enough to have learned that that renders it pretty useless - 5-10 is enough, and really not a big deal anyway. Never noticed a taste or mouthfeel issue without it.

The 2 packets are just my security blanket. I don't bother with starters (I forget to do it) so I pitch a pair in case 1 packet is old or maybe not so up to par. At $1.50 - $2.00 a pack for dry, it is good insurance. - All I really care about. FTR - I have NEVER had a fermentation problem. Just being safe lately after friends have had issues.

OBTW - the taste from my OG sample was Holy Wow! 1.068

The chocolate will offset the tartness of the cranberries without going too sweet.

I bottled this after 3 weeks in primary. Chocolate smells lit up my nose and got my stomach grumbling when I opened my primary. The tubing had the classic stout dark brownish/black color flowing through with a slight reddish tint. I am getting quite a bit excited to try this on July 4th.

:fro:

Sounds quite delicious. I'm thinking about giving this a go. Thanks got sharing. Please update when you break one out to sample.

I had to try my Watermelon Kolsch a week after bottling. It was green, but the taste was what I imagined and the back-end bite I noticed at sampling had lessened quite a bit.

Had one tonight too, which is 10 days or so after. It's already aged better than I hoped and the back-end is about gone now. Watermelon nose, watermelon taste, yet completely beer.

My point... crack one and give yourself a reference point. You deserve it.

OK, OK

I just tried it and decided to post. It has an incredible nose of chocolate and a little coffee. Cranberry is only hinted at.

I will age another month and try. In my experience, fruity esters take a little while when the rest may be strong.

My next attempt will be to put 4# of cranberries or craisins in secondary and do a comparison. For now, though, this is damn good!

My father is a Coors Light guy, with no desire for anything with a bigger body, but actually had high praise for where it is at right now. Though big and bold, the flavor profile is anything but extreme, and is extremely well balanced for it's age. He is now interested in other alterations of this to see where the noble cranberry can be bolstered without negative side effects.

cheers! :mug:

Awesome! I'm actually thinking about doing something like this in the fall for a holiday beer.

Thanks for the inspiration. Keep me posted on how it ages.

Back