CraigsList score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this ad on CraigsList today:
Home Brewing Equipment - $250

For $250, this guy was selling the following:

2 glass carboy fermenters (6 gallon)
1 Plastic bottle fermenter (6 gallon)
1 starter bottle (one gallon glass bottle)
1 siphon
hoses
6 gallon plastic bucket fermenter
6 gallon plastic racking bucket (with spigot)
beer thief (for easily extracting beer from carboy for testing)
hydrometer
bottle capper
bottle caps
2 brushes with wire handles (carboy and bottle)
3 fermentation locks
1 large funnel
blowoff hose
powdered cleaner
sanitizer
scale
1 high quality 6 gallon brew kettle
1 lesser quality 5 gallon brew kettle
carboy dryer (stand to put carboy in upside down while drying)
8 mini kegs (1 1/2 gallon each)
8 bungs for mini kegs
two mini keg taps (CO2 cartridge driven)
3 soda kegs (6 gallons each)
CO2 cylinder for soda kegs (5 pound)
regulator
1 plastic tap for soda kegs
20 bottles (24 oz)
1 copper tubing immersion wort chiller
plastic paddle 18 inch (for stirring wort)
rubber stoppers for all fermenters
5 brewing books - Joy of Homebrewing, Homebrewers Companion, Beer
Captured, Clone Brews, North American Clone Brews
temperature control thermostat for lagering in a fridge

So I contacted him and he said it was mine for $250. I drove about an hour and met him at his place. I did a quick check and everything appeared to be there and the kegging equipment looked in great condition. Then he changed the deal on me...he only wanted $200. Apparently he had offered the stuff to someone else @ $200, but they backed out and he was going to give me the same deal. I took him up on it (the kegging equipment, which is what I was after, cost more than $250).

After I got home and inventoried everything, I found these extras:
  • the siphon, is an auto-siphon and in good condition
  • the hydrometer came with a sampling cylinder
  • the scale was missing, but I already have one
  • the spoon and blowoff tube are crap, no problem
  • 6 books instead of 5 and I only had Beer Captured already
  • a couple of steeping socks
  • a chain hanger kit (anyone have any idea what this is for?)
Additionally, I found these:
  • 1 oz. Irish Moss
  • some Whirlfoc
  • Divergan F
  • Oak Chips
  • Safale S-04
The guy told me the last time he brewed was like 2 years ago, anyone got any idea if any of the above stuff is still good?

awsome!
I just picked up a used twice turkey fryer set ($25). Going to get it all cleaned up and brew with it!
Sample people sold me a pool table too!

I was excited about finding a free kegerator (w/20# CO2 tank) but now I'm jealous! Great score!

(I have no idea if the extra stuff is still good, only been brewing for a few months)

Craigslist kicks ass a few months ago i ran into a good deal on a bunch of equipment. A full ten gallon all grain system and kegging system. I paid $480 dollars for it. It also came with six fermenters and a whole bunch of books and other crap. Saved me a whole lot of time and energy waiting to build all that stuff up.

This has to ge down as one of the best deals ever! The only thing that might be bad is the yeast, but you can make a starter beforehand to check it. No, I have no idea what a chain hanger kit is, but you've got me curious.

Congrats on a killer score, Uncle!

Quite the steal! Only would have been better for free. Are you sure it was his stuff and not his annoying neighbors garage :fro:.

I'll probably hold onto the Oak Chips and maybe the moss. The rest I'll probably toss (WhirlFloc has a 24 month shelf life).

For homebrewers in the MD, VA, DC area...there is always stuff for sale in the NVA area. I have an RSS feed set up to email me CL ads with certain keywords.

Rather than start another CraigslistScore thread I figured I would put my deal up on this one. Today I picked up a 20 lb CO2 tank and 3 5-gal ball-lock cornies for $75!! Even if the tank is out of regs, the savings I made on it makes up for that! Sweet! Kegging here I come!

Unclesamskid said:
Saw this ad on CraigsList today:
Home Brewing Equipment - $250

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

blah blah blah

The guy told me the last time he brewed was like 2 years ago, anyone got any idea if any of the above stuff is still good?

So you are they guy that got all of that stuff!

Congrats!!!!!!!!

yeah, I sent the dude an email about it...never got a response. I got a reply back from a dude selling a bottles by the dozen for $1. BY the time her replied he was out..... :(

If you need bottles (free ones) let me know. I have friends that constantly bring me bottles and it is easier to keep taking them then to tell them "I don't need bottles right now", "Now I need bottles", "Hold up on the bottles for now", "Start sending me bottles".

Additionally, I am going to start kegging some beer, so my need for bottles will probably decrease.

yeah, I'll let you know. I'm good for now, but that will change soon I'm sure

A quick check on CL and I've found three people selling their breweries. The X-mas thrill has faded for some I guess. I'm hoping to aquire one of them - the guy has great stuff that I could use.

Yeah, CraigsList is the ****! I got a very nice refrigerator for free, and the other day I got a bunch of bottles for free. About 80 in all, and 12 of them were Grolsch flip tops:tank:

I'd say toss the yeast, it's less than a buck for the dried stuff anyway.
Know nothing about the whirflock.
As long as the oak chips are sealed might as well keep them.Brew a stout or porter. Cubes are better quality, but since you have the chips may as well use them.

Killer deal.

Back