Craigslist Find....What do you think??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeder212

Reaction score
I haven't started brewing yet, because of space. But that problem is about to be solved. I just found this on Craigslist for $100, but its about 3 hour drive from me. Think it would be worth the drive. I also asked if he might be heading anywhere near me anytime soon.

EVERYTHING NEEDED TO BREW BEER AT HOME!! 1- 5 GALLON CARBOY,1- 5 GALLON CARBOY FERMENTATION LOCK, 1- 6.5 GALLON CARBOY, 1-6.5 GALLON CARBOY FERMENTATION LOCK, 1- 5 GALLON BUCKET WITH SPICKET, 1- WORT CHILLER, 1- THERMOMETER, 1- HYDROMETER, 1- CARBOY/BOTTLE CLEANING HOSE ATTACHMENT, 1- CARBOY BRUSH, 1- BOTTLE BRUSH, 1- BOTTLE IODINE, 1- FUNNEL, 1- 6FT. CLEAR HOSE, 1- SYPHON TUBE, 1- FLOW CONTROL BOTTLING TUBE, 1- BOTTLE CAPPER, 1- BAG OF BOTTLE CAPS, 1- HOW TO VIDEO, 1- BOOK OF RECIPES. EVERYHTING IN IMMACULATE CONDITION. IF YOU ARE READY TO START BREWING THIS IS THE DEAL YOU WILL WANT TO MAKE. LOOK AROUND, COMPARE, BUT DON'T WASTE TIME, YOU'LL WANT TO CRY IF YOU MISS IT.

How much? I'd also deep six the tubing and get new stuff, its cheap and not worth ruining a batch with dirty/contaminated tubing. Good find:mug:

That price doesnt sound too bad, try to offer him a little less. The only turn off for me would be the six hours of driving to get the stuff.

yeah....that's why I asked him if he would just happen to be coming anywhere near me, or just anywhere closer anytime soon.....if so, I figure I might could meet him.

So you're getting:

1- 5 GALLON CARBOY
1- 6.5 GALLON CARBOY
1- 5 GALLON BUCKET WITH SPICKET
1- WORT CHILLER

For $100? I'd say thats pretty decent. I don't think I'd drive 6hrs for it but otherwise the price is right. I'd say all the other stuff is just that...stuff

For used equipment I think it is too much, or maybe I just got lucky.
I recently got;
7- glass 6 gallon carboys with airlocks
7- fermentation buckets with airlocks
1- Cornelius keg
1- 20lb CO2 tank with regulator (half full of CO2)
1- bottling spigot
7- Select premium wine kits (they sell for around $120/ea)
10- cases of wine bottles
6- cases of brown capper bottles
racking canes, a wine thief, wine corks, wine corker, and lots of misc small equipment for $100

i am sure you can get a cheaper as in allot less gas money in a brand new kit in one of your local lbhs. i know the lbhs i spent 169.

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=1452

something to consider. and since your starting out you can hold on on that and just go with the basic kit. http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idProduct=2546 would cost the same as what your getting with shipping but if you bought it local i am sure you could get it for less.

Just figured it up, with the price of gas here, and in my wife's car...$45 in gas. So if I can get this for $80, instead of $100, then I'd be out around $125. Who knows...the guy wrote me back and said he does not have any trips planned down my way, so I'd have to go all the way. I also checked the prices at a few places on-line...and it looks like it would all be around $200+ so I may just get this, but still looking too.

I offered $80, I guess he didn't like that, because I never heard back from him. I was on Craigslist today, and found a used 5g carboy for $30. Seems overpriced....i think i can buy new for less. What would be a good price on used 5g carboy?

I offered $80, I guess he didn't like that, because I never heard back from him. I was on Craigslist today, and found a used 5g carboy for $30. Seems overpriced....i think i can buy new for less. What would be a good price on used 5g carboy?

I've heard via austinhomebrew.com (Forrest is the owner, and he posts here), that glass carboys are going up in price. However, my LHBS still has them for $22 or so. So, I wouldn't give anybody more than $12-$15 or so for one.

I guess he didn't like your $80 offer, but $80 was a fair offer. The only usable items were the wort chiller and carboys. Plastic tends to scratch, and might need to be replaced anyway, and a new capper is less than $15. You can buy a new kit for $100 so, why buy used at that price? A wort chiller is a good thing to have- and worth $40-$50 for a decent one.

Back