Craft Beer Spots in Myrtle Beach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carros

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be in North Myrtle Beach in two weeks and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good craft beer spots I should try and hit while I'm there. I looked on www.myrtlebeachcraftbeer.com and found Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery and Quigley's Pint & Plate(this one may be a bit too far away though) for brew pubs. So if anyone has other suggestions I would be glad to hear them.

Mellow Mushroom has a good selection. There's also a good brewery in MB called NewSouth. Not sure where they are compared to where you're going. Also, SC recently passed a pint law so they should be serving pints at the brewery. Good luck and next time make it down to chucktown, there's a good brew scene there. I think they're up to 5 breweries now.

Thanks for the tip about Newsouth. It looks like their about 25 miles from where I'm staying, but I think I'll have to talk to SWMBO into going for the tour on tues or thurs.

Thanks for the link.
I'll be in Cherry Grove the week of the 20'th with a pale ale on tap and several homebrews in bottles.

Well we're heading out in a couple of hours. If all goes to plan we should arrive at Quigley's Pint & Plate about lunch time tomorrow.

I spent last week in Myrtle Beach....arrived home yesterday. I brought back some New South, New Belgium, Westbrook, and Foothills....beers I can't find around here. I highly recommend stopping by New South Brewing for the tour and tasting. We had a blast there. I had planned on getting my growler filled at Piggly Wiggly @ The Market Common (where I bought most of my beer) but I found their growler fill prices to be extremely high. Their craft beer area was comparable in size to the Wegman's stores here in this area (PA) with Wegman's probably having more to choose from. Beach Discount Beverage and Green's Beverage had basically the same selection as Piggly Wiggly with more growler taps and lower growler fill prices.

Well that is is the same thing I did. Did you go by the Newsouth brewery? I took the tour on Tuesday and got a growler of their dry hopped lager to go. I really liked that stuff. I went back to get another growler filled on Thursday but they said the keg had kicked and they wouldn't have more till next week.

Well that is is the same thing I did. Did you go by the Newsouth brewery? I took the tour on Tuesday and got a growler of their dry hopped lager to go. I really liked that stuff. I went back to get another growler filled on Thursday but they said the keg had kicked and they wouldn't have more till next week.

Were you at New South for the 3:15 tour or the later "virtual tour"? If you were at the 3:15, we were there at the same time! I wanted to get back there on Thursday to get my growler filled (I couldn't believe how little they were charging to fill a growler) but we got busy with other things and I never got back there.

Having been a recent 20 year resident of the grand strand with parents that still live in the area, I can honestly say there is no real good craft beer spot in Myrtle Beach. Liberty is a typical tap house with about five house brands in rotation with mediocre food. Mellow mushrooms are the same way, lousy pie with 20 drafts of craft and the usual BMC offerings in bottles. The PW in market commons probably has the best craft selection in the area but most of what you'll find there is what you'll find pretty much everywhere. With only three taps at their growler station, good luck on anything interesting on draft. Call before you go.

Owens discount beverage on 82nd has a dusty rack of bottles that somebody from schaffer distributing convinced them was once craft beer. The beer side of Greens Discount Beverage occasionally gets a rare bomber or two (Founders bolt cutter, Allagash Hugh Malone, etc.) but again, selection is wanting. The old Pavilion discount beverage is likewise equipped, but at least has a shelf dedicated to regional brewing like New South, Duck Rabbit, Highlands and Westbrook.

I'll be honest, i've only tried two beers by New South (their pale ale and IPA) and both sucked. Westbrook produces a little better quality but it's still not as good as i'd like to taste. Their White Thai is about the best thing i've had by them and even that gets a B- in my book. They shoulda stuck to contract brewing for Stillwater.

Anyway, look forward to leaving your craft beer exploration skills on vacation when visiting the grand strand. You'll find it's mostly a BMC wasteland, so pack in some suds if you're driving in. If you're flying in, oh well....

Having been a recent 20 year resident of the grand strand with parents that still live in the area, I can honestly say there is no real good craft beer spot in Myrtle Beach. Liberty is a typical tap house with about five house brands in rotation with mediocre food. Mellow mushrooms are the same way, lousy pie with 20 drafts of craft and the usual BMC offerings in bottles. The PW in market commons probably has the best craft selection in the area but most of what you'll find there is what you'll find pretty much everywhere. With only three taps at their growler station, good luck on anything interesting on draft. Call before you go.

Owens discount beverage on 82nd has a dusty rack of bottles that somebody from schaffer distributing convinced them was once craft beer. The beer side of Greens Discount Beverage occasionally gets a rare bomber or two (Founders bolt cutter, Allagash Hugh Malone, etc.) but again, selection is wanting. The old Pavilion discount beverage is likewise equipped, but at least has a shelf dedicated to regional brewing like New South, Duck Rabbit, Highlands and Westbrook.

I'll be honest, i've only tried two beers by New South (their pale ale and IPA) and both sucked. Westbrook produces a little better quality but it's still not as good as i'd like to taste. Their White Thai is about the best thing i've had by them and even that gets a B- in my book. They shoulda stuck to contract brewing for Stillwater.

Anyway, look forward to leaving your craft beer exploration skills on vacation when visiting the grand strand. You'll find it's mostly a BMC wasteland, so pack in some suds if you're driving in. If you're flying in, oh well....

Actually, I found New South's Nut Brown Ale to be quite good. And I'm glad I did, because at most of the places where I ate, that was the only non-BMC beer I could find. I can't get New Belgium in PA, so I picked up some at Piggly Wiggly Market Common, where they actually have 6 growler taps, but at $26.99 for a 64 oz. growler, I passed.

Back