Craft beer in London

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Hello all,

my sister is going to be in London and Germany and she's asking if I'd like for her to bring some beer to me here in the States.

I'm wondering if you all could recommend some great beers from London and/or Germany?

Thanks!

Yes, I would love to try whatever is considered some of the best craft beer in both of those countries. Not really looking for beer from commercial breweries, unless of course those are "better" than the craft breweries!

Just wanted to make sure you didn't mean everyday British beers, which we treat as craft beer over here on this side of the pond. [emoji3]

What you actually want, as a presumably American beer enthusiast, is a selection of classic English and German beers. Not “craft” beer. Seriously.

Unfortunately you can’t have your sister bring back cask ales or lager in half liter mugs dispensed from barrels, but you can still have some wonderful bitters, stouts, old ales, helles, dunkels, pils, festbiers, rauchbiers, schwarzbier, and so on.

You should do a little research into these styles and the breweries that make iconic examples that are not (or rarely) exported.

In London, ask her to visit Fullers Griffin brewery in Chiswick, accessible via the Tube. They have a wonderful bottle/gift shop with many beers that are not exported to the US.

Will do - thanks. Funny thing is, I brew Best Bitter all the time (and placed second in comp with my house recipe) but have never had one from a brewery, or anyone else for that matter.

Will do - thanks. Funny thing is, I brew Best Bitter all the time (and placed second in comp with my house recipe) but have never had one from a brewery, or anyone else for that matter.

Could you post or send me your winning recipe? I also have a bitter recipe that I use regularly! Thanks

Could you post or send me your winning recipe? I also have a bitter recipe that I use regularly! Thanks

For sure. I posted the first iteration in a recipe thread here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/Bramling-Cross-British-Bitter.657290/

The one I have on tap now tastes similar but was brewed with six pounds Mecca Grade Estate malts Pilsner malt, 2 pounds Mecca Grade opal 44, American hops, and Imperial Dieter Kolsch yeast. I named it Pilgrimage to Mecca, but almost named it Mecca-Merica Bitter. It will be judged this weekend and next weekend and I’ll post the recipe if it’s well-received.

Back